    Baron Guest

    Thats what I said. He can use other tools to clone the disk from one to
    the other then swap them and run fixboot.

    Baron, Apr 24, 2008

  2. Mine too, but the DOS shell that Windows runs under is not rerally DOS
    anymore.

    What they really meant is that DOS 6 does not read NTFS, the DOS for Win XP
    reads NTFS just fine.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 25, 2008

  3. neither does "DOS 7", deary. DOS does not.

    note- though perhaps some snazzy Non MS DOS versions might, or might
    in the future. And of course you can get 3rd party utilities to make
    it read/write NTFS.
    What you are trying to refer to is called a command prompt, you
    peasant.

    DOS and Windows are different OSs. There is no DOS for Windows or
    Windows for DOS. Indeed though, many DOS commands are available from
    the command prompt.

    jameshanley39, Apr 25, 2008

  4. Well, as a practical matter, Windows once ran under DOS. Windows is a
    DOS-based OS, or was for a very long time. I would suggest that it is still
    based in DOS, even if it has move way beyond what DOS did.

    Windows might be it's own operating system these days, and the Command
    Prompt window is not really DOS, but it takes lots of DOS commands, and when
    somebody says, "my DOS reads NTFS," you should direct your tirade at them,
    not me. I'm just trying to explain why they can read NTFS with DOS.

    To add another layer of confusion, DOS does read FAT32, and XP can be
    installed to a FAT32 system, so DOS commands should work fine to read Drive
    C in that instance. This means that DOS should be able to read Drive C with
    Win XP installed, IF the drive is formatted to FAT32.

    Forgive my for not remembering that one can not quiry an NTFS drive with
    DOS.

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 25, 2008
  5. JJ

    Wilson Guest

    sometime in the recent past JJ posted this:
    Just for kicks, I tried this from the command prompt in Vista Home Premium
    with 'administrative rights.'
    xcopy temp\*.* temp2
    where temp is a primary directory on C: and temp2 hadn't been created yet.
    The directory 'temp' had sub-directories and nested sub-directories. It
    asked me if 'temp2' was a F=file or D=directory, so I keyed in 'D.' It
    copied only the primary sub-directories from 'temp' into 'temp2,' but not
    the sub-directory with nested subs in it.

    Then I cut & pasted the new 'temp2' into the original 'temp' and ran the
    same command again (and yes Virginia, there is COMMAND.COM, that primal DOS
    file in the Vista C:\windows]system32 directory.)

    This time the same thing, only the primary sub-directories were copied into
    the new 'temp2' - only 22 files each time, just a little over half of the
    data was copied.

    Point being, I don't believe that even within the same OS xcopy will copy
    anything more than the primary sub-directories without secondary directories
    in them. Ain't gonna work no how. You'll need other software to do what you
    want like Drive Image ver. 7 if I recall correctly.

    Wilson, Apr 25, 2008
  6. why don't you archive your posts?

    so others can benefit.

    Your terminology was all haywire

    try xcopy /e , it copies subdirectories. (/s does too, but I prefer /
    e. see /?)

    xcopy without /e or /s, does not copy subdirectories. That is what
    you were seeing.

    The other thing is,
    a file c:\file
    a directory, is c:\directory\

    if you do not put a backslash after the directory, and you are using
    xcopy, not a command like cd, then it is not sure whether you refer to
    a file or directory.

    so include the \ i.e. c:\gds\ or \gds\ then it will know.
    and it won't ask you if gds is a file or directory.

    C:\fd>xcopy *.* c:\gds\ /e
    C:\fd>xcopy *.* c:\gds /e <-- will ask you, as you saw.
    C:\fd>xcopy *.* c:\gds <-- will ask you, as you saw

    It does create the directory you specify, even if it does not exist.
    so no need to md c:\gds Notice that with md you don't have to say
    md c:\gds\ since it knows it is a directory. md stands for "make
    directory". md gds or md c:\gds will do, similarly with CD. cd
    windows or cd \windows, you don't need to say cd \windows\ though you
    can. You can only say cd directory. But since xcopy can take a file
    or directory, it asks, unless you explicitly tell it.

    jameshanley39, Apr 25, 2008
  7. JJ

    Wilson Guest

    sometime in the recent past posted this:
    Those were helpful, I haven't used xcopy in a long time and forget to do the
    xcopy /? to see the options.

    Not sure about what the fd> does, but since the OP wanted to copy one disk
    to another with both using the same file structure ie. NTFS, he could use:
    C:\fd>xcopy c:\ d:\ /e

    As for archiving, I'm not that interested in someone else saving everything
    I post, but I'll do it this once.

    Wilson, Apr 26, 2008
  8. They may be layers of confusion if you have your knowledge stored in
    your mind the way you write it here. But if you thought about these
    things more, you would understood them better, and then knowing more
    would lead to more clarity rather than an additional layer of
    confusion.

    As an example, look at that last sentence you wrote. You make it
    appear as if a factor in whether an OS can see a drive, is what OS is
    installed on the target drive.

    I may have my facts more specific than necessary, or not perfect, I
    haven't experimented -that- much. But I write this because logic is
    the main thing.

    The logic is..

    DOS can be installed on [these file systems] FAT16/FAT32.

    Windows XP (or NT generally) can be installed on [these file systems]
    FAT32/NTFS (nobody would bother with FAT16, it has a 2GB limit)

    That is the issue of what file system the OS installs on.
    Nothing to do with what file systems it can see.
    OSs see file systems. It is not file systems that see file systems.
    (I say that because some do make that mistake)

    Now the issue of what file systems an OS can see.
    DOS can see FAT16/FAT32 (FAT12 too, e.g.(i.e?) floppy disks!)
    It cannot naturally see NTFS. (you need 3rd party utilities to allow
    it to)

    Win NT can see FAT16/FAT32 (and FAT12 of course!), and NTFS.

    So if you look at your
    Your stupid sentence
    <idiocy>"This means that DOS should be able to read Drive C with Win
    XP installed, IF the drive is formatted to FAT32"</idiocy>
    Win XP is irrelevant.
    DOS CAN read a FAT32 drive/partition , regardless of what OS is
    installed on there.
    There are no layers of confusion there.

    The layers of confusion are because you a storing things in your head
    in a haphazard, loony way.

    Computers do work using rules, but not the way you state them!

    Either figure out the rules yourself by experimentation, or copy what
    others say. But don't invent these ridiculous rules that borrow all
    sorts of irrelevant factors, and happen to come to the correct result.

    The layers of confusion are your own doing.

    jameshanley39, Apr 27, 2008
  9. JJ

    Baron Guest

    I would say that is a very common mistake !
    Due to the dumbing down by M$ people think the OS is the file system.

    Baron, Apr 27, 2008
  10. Sorry, but it is pretty clear that the OS is not the focal point of my
    statement. DOS does not read NTFS, but it does read FAT32, these are file
    systems (formatting schemes) not operating systems. What I tried to point
    out is that the OS that the original poster is using is one that can be
    installed on either of the file systems. So, the OS is the only ooint of
    reference tht the OP shared with us, but the file structure that the OS uses
    can be seen in DOS if it is one version (FAT32) but can not be seen by DOS
    if it is the other version (NTFS).

    Jeff Strickland, Apr 28, 2008