dopey (minor) XP problem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Larry Smith, Feb 18, 2006.

  1. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Hi,
    Just this morning I am finding that when I run the cursor over the
    time setting in the lower right corner the day and date does not pop
    up in the yellow-background box as usual.
    In fact the other task bar options there show only the tippy top of
    the yellow rectangle. It's almost like it is hiding behind the
    taskbar.

    What's up with that and what is the fix?

    Note that the task bar is the same height as always. In the past
    I've seen that its vertical dimension can be changed but in this case
    it hasn't been.

    TIA

    --
    Larry Smith

    "In this country anyone can grow up to be President.
    That's the risk you take."
    Adlai Stevenson

    Larry Smith, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Larry Smith

    philo Guest

    Just left click anywhere on the dektop first...

    philo, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Tried that and unfortunately it didn't do anything.

    Larry Smith, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    I may have been hasty in my reply.

    I now find that the clock info is readable and in front of the
    taskbar. Oddly though it doesn't help with the other icons in the
    taskbar since when the cursor goes over them their boxes are still
    predominantly behind the taskbar with only their very tops visible.

    Larry Smith, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Larry Smith

    Paul Guest

    Yes I find that on occasions - still do not know why it happens and it seems
    to rectify itself after awhile without rebooting and the popups are readable
    once more in front of the taskbar. It is annoying at the time though.
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Larry Smith

    Larry Smith Guest

    Sonuvagun - that's just what happened.
    It apparently fixed itself and now is working properly.

    thanks for the help,

    Larry Smith, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Larry Smith

    philo Guest

    maybe Bill Gates saw your post here...
    and remotely applied a patch to your machine <G>

    philo, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Larry Smith

    Bill Guest

    Put you cursor at the top of the taskbar until it becomes a double arrow.
    Drag the taskbar up a couple of notches to resize it and then drag it back
    down to the original size. Sometimes that fixes the tooltips. <shrug>

    Bill

    Bill, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Larry Smith

    Senti Guest

    Just for reference sake, it's a known issue and Microsoft has dedicated
    a support page to it. Their "solution" is the time honoured tradition
    of "Log off and then log back on to the current account." or "Restart
    your computer."

    Here's the link, though my summary above covers everything you need:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=912650&SD=tech

    ~S

    Senti, Feb 19, 2006