Dont use Microsoft Anti-Spyware if running Norton Anti-Virus -sigh-

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Trax, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Trax

    Trax Guest

    http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/02/microsoft_antispyware_deleting_1.html
    or http://tinyurl.com/c544u

    "Microsoft's Anti-Spyware program is causing troubles for people who
    also use Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus software; apparently, a recent
    update to Microsoft's anti-spyware application flags Norton as a
    password-stealing program and prompts users to remove it.

    According to several different support threads over at Microsoft's
    user groups forum, the latest definitions file from Microsoft
    "(version 5805, 5807) detects Symantec Antivirus files as PWS.Bancos.A
    (Password Stealer)."

    When Microsoft Anti-Spyware users remove the flagged Norton file as
    prompted, Symantec's product gets corrupted and no longer protects the
    user's machine..."

    Slashdot.org article http://it.slashdot.org/it/06/02/11/2259232.shtml

    Can't wait until Vista comes out, that's when I go to Linux and avoid
    all this crap.

    Trax, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Today Trax commented courteously on the subject at hand
    Trax, I run NAV 2006 as part of Norton System Works. However,
    I don't beta test for free, and certainly don't run a beta on
    something as critical as spyware. I don't know if MS's program
    is or is not still in beta, but I still don't trust them.
    "Microsoft security" is a classic oxymoron in the best
    tradition of "military intelligence" and "postal service" in
    my book.

    Having said that, I've long held the belief that one, and only
    one malware utility should be running at a time. Even absent a
    runaway app, like MS anti-spyware sounds like because Bill the
    Gate's mission in life is to put Symantec out of business (so,
    why doesn't /he/ write a /real/ anti-malware? don't answer
    that...), it isn't a good idea to have NAV and MS scanning
    each other in some vain competition to see who can scam the
    other.
    I don't understand the connection to your post here.

    All Things Mopar, Feb 12, 2006