Don't let this group die! Question, when did you first see DVD technology?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. I once asked people on this group to list their first DVD(s), now I'm
    asking when the first time you saw DVD technology in action, and what
    you thought.

    I first saw Stargate at a Media Play in Kentucky, this was shortly
    before DVD was officially scheduled to hit my market, but they were
    selling a few players and a few movies anyway. Stargate was a crappy
    movie but I was still drooling. Watching a 2.35:1 movie letterboxed on
    a 27" tv, with all that detail and smoothness, was eye-popping after
    nothing but VHS for years (LD was out of my price league). A Gameboy
    game has a better resolution than a letterboxed VHS tape.

    I think the only things they were selling were those early IMAX discs.

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    I first saw it in my own house upon purchasing my first Panasonic player in
    1998. The first disc I watched was L.A. Confidential (my first purchase),
    and I was blown away. :) My collection is now passing 400...

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 25, 2004

  3. I was working at an electronics/home theatre store when the first DVDs and
    DVD players arrived in 1997 or '98 (we were one of the first stores to
    carry them). I remember being unimpressed by the picture quality at first,
    all those pixels and artifacts on a movie like Outbreak, and the sound
    didn't measure up against the uncompressed sound of a good laserdisc
    setup. I even had both laserdisc and DVD copies of some of those
    Lumivision discs, and stuck with the lasers in most cases.

    The technology sure has changed since then, although laserdiscs still
    continued to trump DVDs in the soundtrack department for some time after
    that.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    Wild Coyote Guest

    I saw it with my first DVD player in September of 2000. I cannot
    remember the first movie watched, it was whatever was just out on DVD
    at the time. My first purchase was "For the Love of the Game." I
    know, but I grew up a Tiger's fan. We were watching it on a 27"
    analog TV and even letterboxed it was so much clearer then VHS. I was
    hooked. Just yesterday I hit number 1900 on the DVD profiler list. I
    do like my library.

    --
    The Day PP was speechless, April 20, 2004.

    "This may actually be the strangest idea ever in abp. I think you got
    me, WC--I'm speechless. A guy in a female road runner suit... that's
    just not right."

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Huh? I thought it would be interesting to know what people's first DVDs
    were. I don't know what you're talking about.
    I once met a guy who told me that Laserdisc bombed not long after it was
    released, he said it did worse than Betamax (which *also* shows
    ignorance about Betamax). He still wouldn't believe me when I told him
    it had much success as a niche format. I heard Rolls Royce only sold
    about ten thousand cars last year, they must be tanking....
    "And it has commentary from the director!"
    "The director of LEPRECHAUN II!!!"

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Boy, that's kind of late. Never even saw a store demo?

    I didn't get my first player until 2001 though, I'm so ashamed...but on
    the bright side, my first DVDs were Barry Lyndon and The Searchers. Man
    I was jazzed, that had to be one of the happiest days in my life. A
    whole movie, on that little disc, with picture way better than VHS. I
    was in heaven.
    Man, I wish I had a collection half that size. Count your blessings (oh
    wait, you already did).

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  8. "...because I was that desperate to play the 'This group is going to
    Heck in a handbasket!--The End is Near!" card when it looked like the
    current flamewar thread was losing steam and being forgotten..."
    I remember Siskel & Ebert showing America how much better Tom Cruise
    looked dancing up the wall in "Interview with the Vampire" than on
    laserdisc--
    And, like most people at the time, thinking "Uh...it's STILL laserdisc.
    Real people own VCR's."

    These were, after all, the days of that "Third Rock From the Sun"
    episode. :)

    Derek Janssen ("Uh, guys...It's 'Leprechaun II"!)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Grand Inquisitor

    Mark Jones Guest

    It was at Best Buy before they actually had any DVD players
    available for sale. They had a wide screen TV with surround
    sound playing the movie Twister.

    Sold me on the home theater concept right away.

    Mark Jones, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Laserdisc *did* bomb when it was first introduced. Because of the
    confusion between RCA's Selectavision system (which used a stylus to guide
    the playback head, and was error prone from the get-go) and Laserdisc,
    people were willing to accept lesser picture quality (but not *that* much
    lesser, if you look at those late-'70s laserdisc pressings) for the
    ability to record on videotape.

    But, laserdisc proved to be useful as a training device, in institutions
    like schools and museums, and most importantly, the Pentagon, which kept
    the format afloat until the consumer electronic market (most notably the
    high end home theatre movement) could catch up with the technology. As a
    result, the format had a good 10-12 years, before DVD quickly put the
    kibosh on it.

    swac
    Doubt my '78 bowling instruction laserdisc will show up on DVD any time
    soon...

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 26, 2004
  11. [first DVD experience]
    So did I, pretty much. I'd seen something *about* DVD on a TV at a local
    electronics store, extolling the quality and mentioning some of the titles
    available, but I don't know for sure that it was *sourced* from DVD.

    So my first confirmed experience was in my apartment on 12 February 1998,
    with a player (Sony DVP-S7000, no switches) and four DVDs (_Blade Runner_,
    _A Hard Day's Night_, _Reservoir Dogs_ and _Little Shop of Horrors_).

    (It wasn't such a risk: if I'd really disliked the new format, I'd have
    taken the player back under the 30-day guarantee, sold the discs and thus
    recouped the majority of my investment.)

    doug

    Douglas Bailey, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Not to mention the special-order import availability of rare titles on
    region-free foreign and Japanese releases, which kept the
    collector-niche market afloat until Voyager/Criterion made it cool...

    Derek Janssen (okay, geeks, brag away--"Song of the South"'s on the
    left, uncut "Star Wars" on the right)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 26, 2004
  13. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Yeah. After reading up on the format, I had faith. :) (I had seen L.A.
    Confidential in the theater, BTW, and it was my favorite movie of 1997.)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 26, 2004
  14. Grand Inquisitor

    el stinky Guest

    my first experience was at a DOW store in escondido. STARGATE was showing,
    improperly setup of course so it looked like a saturday-afternoon italian
    western. I caught some artifacts and like a classic LD diehard said aloud
    "it looks like shit".

    i stayed away for a while, in protest to divx. as soon as its death was
    announced, i picked up my first player; a pioneer to match my LD player. oh
    BTW i am on my 3rd DVD player. The LD player still lives and gets heavy use.
    The Pioneer dvd player died after 5 months. so did a jvc. now i have a year
    and a half old cyberhome. i will never go back to consumer level "brand
    name" crap.

    I am reminded of this everytime i see an imporperly set up HDTV system,
    honeslty i dont think i have seen one yet at ANY shop.

    so what about the first time anyone saw a CDI?

    --
    _________________________________
    Home of the Tiltwheel

    el stinky, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Grand Inquisitor

    jayembee Guest

    "'Song of the South'? Good. Line to the left. One cross each."

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 26, 2004
  16. Forgive me, I should have clarified that he meant LD bombed shortly
    after it came out and never came back. He didn't believe me when I told
    him it had success as a luxury item for twenty-something years, and that
    people still hold onto their collections.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 26, 2004
  17. You prefer a Cyberhome to a mid-level Toshiba?
    I think HDTVs would be selling at least five or ten percent more than
    they have been if they were being properly set up in stores, with a
    calibrated picture (nothing fancy, just a basic DVE tuneup), and a
    quality HD feed.
    I first saw it at a Radioshack. It was some demo "thing" with a CG owl.
    Non-interactive.

    I later saw it for sale at a Bigg's, it was a non-interactive demo with
    clips from 7th Guest and some other stuff. It looked unbelievably cool
    in 94 or 95, what with the full-motion video. Of course, video
    capability added a hundred bucks to the basic cost, and since video was
    CD-i's main selling point, there was no reason to buy a unit that
    couldn't do video. Possibly the most half-baked game system in history,
    if you want to call it a game system.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 27, 2004
  18. Grand Inquisitor

    Richard Guest

    March, 1997. Ordered player. Got it in April.
    -Rich

    Richard, Jun 27, 2004
  19. Grand Inquisitor

    Bill Guest

    I don't remember the exact date, but the first time I saw DVD in action was
    a local Montgomery Wards, where they had a first generation Panasonic model
    selling for around $500 dollars or so. I had been reading about DVD for
    months in issues of "Video" magazine, and was very anxious to see it for the
    very first time.

    I'm still amazed, and so happy, with the way that the DVD caught on. I
    wanted it to from the outset, but feared that it would forever be a "niche"
    format such as laserdisc. When a local Target devoted a small aisle to DVDs,
    I wondered at the time how long that space would remain allocated until they
    gave up on the notion...famous last words. : )

    Bill, Jun 27, 2004
  20. Feh...I'm just glad to have my Japanese LD of The Great Rock and Roll
    Swindle, which includes the great John Snagg-narrated trailer (complete
    with Russ Meyer-shot footage not in the film!) and a great looking
    laserdisc of The Stones in the Park.

    swac
    And that Beatles Ready Steady Go disc...and Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips...

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 27, 2004