    and not a dedicated one like those of digi slrs.only thing i can think my s602z falls down on is the fact it has no image
    stabilizing when using hand held at maximum zoom.what do you guys/girls think i should do?jump or swim?any comments appreciated.rgds
    to all from TBM...

    tbm, Apr 4, 2004

  2. A manual zoom ring is by far superior IMHO.
    Personally, I would not care. There are more than two media
    types, and no camera supports them all. It is enough to
    support one type of media.
    I don't think this is important. The dedicated batteries are better,
    but AA is more cenvenient. BTW - the Sony batteries are extremely
    good - they tell you with great accuracy - the current status.
    Image stabilization is nice. SLR image stabilization lenses
    are rather expensive though.
    I think you have missed some cons and pros of DSLRs.

    con:
    ----

    * Expensive if you buy some lenses.
    * Big and heavy.
    * No live preview.
    * High toleranses, as you are not focussing on the sensor,
    makes the camera somewhat sensitive to physical damage.
    It is also possible that the camera focusses wrong from
    the factory.

    pro:
    ----

    * Large sensor means high quality pictures.
    * Large sensor means high ISO settings.
    * Your own choice of lens, e.g. a super sharp
    50 mm 1.4, is a great advantage.
    * The finder - a SLR finder is the best one!!
    * Big and heavy means stable.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Apr 4, 2004

  3. considering making the move towards dig slr.i like the
    dig slrs it's manual zoom ring.i cannot think of any other
    fact that the s602z runs on aa size rechargeble batteries
    s602z falls down on is the fact it has no image
    think i should do?jump or swim?any comments appreciated.rgds

    You'll be spending a lot of money and giving up a lot of features if you go
    with a dSLR. Your camera will be bigger and heavier, and you will have to
    transport more lenses. You won't have any image preview on your LCD, you
    will have to look through the viewfinder for every shot. You won't have
    movie mode. You won't be able to zoom by pushing a button. You will have to
    get proprietary batteries (unless you spend $2000 on the Fuji S2 Pro). You
    can indeed get image stabilizing lenses, but they are expensive.

    On the other side of the coin, you will get really excellent images,
    especially if you learn to work with Photoshop.

    Good luck.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Apr 4, 2004
  4. tbm

    leo Guest

    considering making the move towards dig slr.i like the
    dig slrs it's manual zoom ring.i cannot think of any other
    fact that the s602z runs on aa size rechargeble batteries
    s602z falls down on is the fact it has no image
    think i should do?jump or swim?any comments appreciated.rgds
    Get both - Canon 300D and a compact 4MP, such as Pentax S4i.

    leo, Apr 4, 2004