    slave, cannon fodder.

    Get an education, serve your fellow man. You can't do any good when
    you're six feet under. Don't believe the hype.

    Ilya Shambat, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Ilya Shambat

    RTO Trainer Guest

    That's funny. I got an education and I am serving my fellow man.

    And those who end up six-feet under often have provided the greatest
    service in keeping that fate from befalling another.

    ---
    COFFEE.EXE missing
    Insert CUP and press ENTER to retry.

    Signaleer http://signaleer.blogspot.com
    This Day in U.S. Military History http://tdiumh.blogspot.com

    RTO Trainer, Apr 7, 2005

  3. Ilya Shambat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Thank your for your opinion. Now go tell it to someone who cares about
    your opinion.

    You have the right to post this opinion because brave men and women died
    to give it to you, and to protect it.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Ilya Shambat

    Clyde Torres Guest

    I don't know what country you are from and what country's Army you are
    talking about, but I proudly servd in the U.S. Air Force and would do it
    again. I wouldn't serve in YOUR Air Force, though, so I don't blame you for
    saying what you said. Your country's government is probably corrupt and
    that's a dam good reason to get away from them as soon as possible.

    Clyde Torres
    Ex U.S. Air Force Sargeant, 4 years
    GI Bill - Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering
    Saw the World On Uncle Sam's Nickel
    Worked On Some Pretty Cool Stuff That You Have No Idea Existed
    Helped Defend The Country That Provides Me And Others With The Best
    Resources
    Others Before Me Provided For Me So I Paid Them Back

    Clyde Torres, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Ilya Shambat

    Sid9 Guest

    1,550+ 11,000 wounded = 16,550 casualties.
    About 150,000 troops in Iraq.

    11% casualty rate for a "Slam Dunk" operation?
    Is that acceptable?

    Sid9, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Ilya Shambat

    jimpgh2002 Guest

    Your logic is faulty. There may be 150,000 troops there at
    any given moment, but they are rotated. There have been far more than
    150,000 DIFFERENT people serving there and the casualty rate is
    nowhere near 11%.

    jimpgh2002, Apr 7, 2005
  7. Ilya Shambat

    RTO Trainer Guest

    150,000 troops in Iraq at any one time.

    So far about 1,000,000 troops have rotated through assuming that about
    1/3 of the total (1.3 million) have been more than once.

    Makes your casualty rate closer to 1.5%

    ---

    RTO Trainer, Apr 7, 2005
  8. Ilya Shambat

    Daryl Hunt Guest

    That is a really BAD response to an obvious fruitcake. Try another track.

    Yes, by all means, go get that Education. Everyone benefits from College
    even if you choose to join the military later. Do it before you join
    though. Night School is not the way to go. For some, it may be the only
    way to obtain the degree and I suggest they do take that route.

    To quote a very popular Folk Hero General, (I will probably misquote it)
    "It's not up to you to die for your country but to make the other Son of a
    Bitch die for his." The quote is not exact but the meaning is quite clear.

    When the US Military is having a 20 to 1 kill ratio, the enemy runs out of
    troops long before the US Military runs out of Troops.

    Some should be part of the Military and some should not. It's, by and
    large, a choice one makes on their own.

    Daryl Hunt, Apr 7, 2005
  9. Ilya Shambat

    Daryl Hunt Guest

    11%? I estimate that there have been about 1 million now that have come and
    gone in both Afganistan and Iraq by now. Your figures are a decimel point
    off. It's closer to 1.4%

    Daryl Hunt, Apr 7, 2005
  10. Another thing to ask is just what you consider a 'casualty.'

    That 11,000 number refers to the number of purple hearts awarded. Now
    when you consider that most people who 'earn' a purple heart are
    classified as RTD (Return To Duty) after medical treatment . . .

    Colin Campbell, Apr 7, 2005
  11. Ilya Shambat

    BadBender Guest

    I think your referring to General Patton. I think the quote goes" No man
    ever won a war by dieing for his country, he won the war by making the other
    dumb poor bastard die for his". You are right though.

    BadBender, Apr 7, 2005
  12. Army you are

    I am quite sure my government is corrupt. I am an American.

    Cecil Palmiter
    SP/5 91B20
    US Army '72-'80

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 7, 2005
  13. And a scientist that created the abomb saved all the rest of you from
    following the ones that died.

    Chance Hopkins, Apr 7, 2005
  14. Ilya Shambat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Been there, done that. Have the medals to prove it.
    Though old, and a bit broken down, I would still proudly serve as I am able.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2005
  15. Ilya Shambat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Check out the casualties in the first hour of the invasion of Normandy,
    and then come back and tell me about acceptable casualties. Then ask
    the people of France, and the rest of Europe who suffered under Hitler,
    and THEN tell me what is acceptable.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2005
  16. Ilya Shambat

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Different war. They wouldn't LET us nuke Hanoi. Bad decision!

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2005
  17. Ilya Shambat

    HawkCW4 Guest

    You obviously have no concept of 'what ever it takes'. Those numbers
    you flip around so easily are paying for what may be one of the single
    most significant events in modern history. The chance for Millions of
    enslaved people to become really free, free with an actual voice in how
    they are governed and by whom. A chance, albeit slim, to cause peace to
    break out all over in an area of the world that is a cesspool of killing
    and more killing. No one wants to see a fellow soldier die, but freedom
    does not come easy, cheap and without serious sacrifice. Your problem
    is that you just can't understand those that are willing to pay while
    you walk around using up good air and taking what has been handed to
    you. Man it must be bitter where you live.

    Ed
    USA Ret

    HawkCW4, Apr 7, 2005
  18. Ilya Shambat

    LawsonE Guest

    Almost all of the casualties in Iraq happened after "major combat
    operations" ended. It's an entirely different situation.

    LawsonE, Apr 7, 2005
  19. Ilya Shambat

    Charlie Wolf Guest

    Then leave.
    Regards,

    Charlie Wolf, Apr 7, 2005
  20. Ilya Shambat

    Owamanga Guest

    In the same period of time (since major combat operations ended), 4.8
    million Americans have died on US soil and one Pope in the Vatican.
    Casualties within the US are off the damn scale. 1,000,000 Americans
    were hospitalized due to road traffic accidents alone.

    Grab 110,000 American troops, put them anywhere on the globe, give
    them guns, tanks and helicopters and they will naturally find a way to
    injure or kill themselves. Such is life.

    Owamanga, Apr 7, 2005