Don't be afraid, Linux isn't just for geeks

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Au79, May 5, 2007.

  1. Au79

    Au79 Guest

    Au79, May 5, 2007

  2. Au79

    Gordon Guest

    "Not all of its machines, obviously — the company wants to stay in business
    — but Linux will be an option on at least two desktops and one laptop
    models."
    <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/andrewkantor/2007-05-04-linux_N.htm>

    HTH HAND FROAD

    Gordon, May 5, 2007

  3. Au79

    Vanguard Guest

    And with VMware it isn't an either this or that choice. You can have
    multiple operating systems on the same box with Linux or Windows as the
    host OS. You aren't limited by what Dell or any other vendor decides to
    shove pre-installed on the drive.

    Vanguard, May 5, 2007
  4. Au79

    Pennywise Guest

    VMplayer is great, no dual booting or other hassles.

    Painless to run Linux and when Ubuntu asked for a password (it's
    Ubuntu) I just switched to XP and searched for it; back to Ubuntu and
    input it.

    No real overhead, nothing of your WinOS is changed in anyway, it's all
    done with a file.

    Free VMplayer http://www.vmware.com/products/player/

    Grab a Ubuntu of your choice here:
    http://isv-image.ubuntu.com/vmware/

    Pennywise, May 6, 2007

  5. You sure about that?

    \Fat Tony\ D'Amico, May 6, 2007
  6. Au79

    Pennywise Guest

    The only problem I had was my sound card didn't work, but it doesn't
    work under any version of Linux (so far).

    But no, I have a very responsive system running vmplayer and Ubuntu.

    I dual boot two XP OS's and have VMware Workstation installed on the
    second OS - what a waste I have no use for it but it would be really
    nice to run WK2 again - but it has more of an overhead but nothing
    drastic.

    Pennywise, May 6, 2007