Domain Registration - Who to use (who do you recommend?)

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alan, Mar 5, 2008.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi All,

    I often get asked for recommendations on who to use to register a
    domain in the .nz space.

    Our domain was registered years ago and I haven't actually had to do
    this myself but I get asked (you know how it is!)

    Who do you recommend for this?

    One of my general concerns is that many of the cheaper web hosting
    providers *appear* to offer free domain registration, renewal, and DNS
    hosting for as long as you are a customer. However, my concern about
    recommending them is, who owns the domain? Would it be in their name,
    not the person I am trying to help out, and what if the relationship
    soured?

    For that matter, what is the definitive way to find out who actually
    owns a domain? If I look up, say, TradeMe.co.nz I get the information
    posted below (bottom of this posting). Does that tell you anything
    definitive about who actually *owns* the domain in the event that the
    registrar goes bust (Domainz Limited in this case I presume).

    Thanks,
    --

    Alan.

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    Queried whois.srs.net.nz with "trademe.co.nz"...

    % New Zealand Domain Name Registry Limited
    % Users confirm on submission their agreement to all published Terms
    %
    version: 1.23.0
    query_datetime: 2008-03-05T16:48:52+13:00
    domain_name: trademe.co.nz
    query_status: 200 Active
    domain_dateregistered: 1999-01-06T00:00:00+13:00
    domain_datebilleduntil: 2009-01-06T00:00:00+13:00
    domain_datelastmodified: 2008-01-06T01:35:27+13:00
    domain_delegaterequested: yes
    %
    registrar_name: Domainz Limited
    registrar_address1: Private Bag 1810
    registrar_city: Wellington
    registrar_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrar_phone: +64 4 473 4567
    registrar_fax: +64 4 473 4569
    registrar_email:
    %
    registrant_contact_name: Trade Me Ltd
    registrant_contact_address1: PO Box
    registrant_contact_address2: 11042
    registrant_contact_city: WELLINGTON
    registrant_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    registrant_contact_phone: +64 4 8032600
    registrant_contact_email:
    %
    admin_contact_name: Trade Me Domain Support
    admin_contact_address1: PO Box
    admin_contact_address2: 11042
    admin_contact_city: WELLINGTON
    admin_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    admin_contact_phone: +64 4 8032600
    admin_contact_email:
    %
    technical_contact_name: Trade Me Domain Support
    technical_contact_address1: PO Box, 11042
    technical_contact_address2: Northcote
    technical_contact_city: WELLINGTON
    technical_contact_postalcode: 1309
    technical_contact_country: NZ (NEW ZEALAND)
    technical_contact_phone: +64 4 8032600
    technical_contact_fax: +64 4 000000
    technical_contact_email:
    %
    ns_name_01: ns1.trademe.co.nz
    ns_ip4_01: 202.21.128.51
    ns_name_02: ns2.trademe.co.nz
    ns_ip4_02: 202.21.128.52
    ns_name_03: ns3.trademe.co.nz
    ns_ip4_03: 203.57.145.51
    ns_name_04: ns4.trademe.co.nz
    ns_ip4_04: 203.57.145.52
    %
    % Users are advised that the following activities are strictly
    forbidden.
    %
    % Using multiple WHOIS queries, or using the output of multiple WHOIS
    % queries in conjunction with any other facility or service, to enable
    % or effect a download of part or all of the .nz Register.
    %
    % Using any information contained in the WHOIS query output to attempt
    % targeted contact campaign with any person, or any organisation,
    using any
    % medium.
    %
    % A breach of these conditions will be treated as a breach of the .nz
    Policies
    % and Procedures. Sanctions in line with those specified in the
    policies and
    % procedures at www.dnc.org.nz may result from any breach.
    %
    % Copyright InternetNZ
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008

  2. Alan

    thingy Guest

    AAh a topic of interest to me right now as well....I too have some
    concerns about buying a domain, ie I just need to buy it, I dont want a
    web site or anything else, buying via go-daddy etc etc all seem to tie
    it into buying other things....so the cheap price isnt really cheap...If
    I get a nz domain I think I will just go to Domainz, however .nz is way
    more $ than .com, and a .com would be fine for me, so Im looking for a
    simple and cheap .com deal.

    The other thing I dont like is as you have posted below, my contact
    details and address would get into DNS which due to the nutters about
    I'd rather avoid.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Mar 5, 2008

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    What offers have you had for registering a .nz domain (the most common
    TLD I get asked about)?

    Is DomaiNZ pure registration?

    What about DNS?

    Can you manage the DNS yourself?

    I had a quick look at dyndns too, but then it all got very
    complicated, so I turned here to see if I could get some
    recommendation on where to focus my 'search for information' efforts!

    Alan.

    --

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  4. Alan

    RL Guest

    The prices GoDaddy offer domains for are as advertised, with no
    additional purchase necessary. The only additional cost is $US0.20 per
    year per domain to ICANN (com, net, org, biz, info, name, jobs, mobi).

    The thing I don't like about GoDaddy is they do try very hard to sell
    you services you may not want. The good thing is you only need to go to
    the site once a year to verify your details, to update your credit card
    information, or to change name servers. I find the ads easy to ignore
    when I'm saving money compared to other options.
    You can make your domain name private via GoDaddy. They have a deal on
    to make unlimited domains private for $US8.99 per year if you register
    or transfer to their service. Apparently I don't qualify because my
    domains are already registered... not fair :(

    I don't really think it is worth the expense myself. There are easier
    ways to get e-mail addresses and other details than querying DNS records.

    RL

    RL, Mar 5, 2008
  5. Alan

    EMB Guest

    Iserve. Not the cheapest, but a *lot* cheaper than Domainz. They do
    what they promise, offer free redirection services and I find them
    hassle free for the 20 or so domain names I own.

    EMB, Mar 5, 2008
  6. Back when I was helping Rex Croft look after the .nz registry (mid 1900s),
    this was the key field identifying the domain owner, as I understood it.
    Everything else could be easily changed, but we always took special care
    with any requests for changes to this field.
    Absolutely good point. I remember a certain ISP that tried to register all
    its customers' domains in its own name. It claimed that way it could hold a
    lien on the domain if the customers left without paying their bills. John
    Houlker disagreed.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2008
  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I guessed as much, but nice to have it confirmed - thanx!
    So who do you recommend that does it the 'right way' for a customer?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  8. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi EMB,

    1) What does a 'redirection service' do for the domain owner? Sorry
    if that is a dumb question!

    2) Can you make changes to DNS yourself (using a web interface or
    something like that?) If not, what do they charge to make changes and
    how is it actually done (email)?

    3) Can you add records to DNS yourself?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi RL,

    1) Can you put an email address on there that is not on the domain
    registered?

    2) For example, could I use a GMail address for that (where the spam
    is filtered on their server)?

    3) Can I change that email address whenever I like, and if so, how
    does that work (web interface)?

    4) Can I make changes or additions to the DNS records using a web
    interface or similar? What are the charges (if any) for this?

    Thanks!

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  10. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    I used DomainMongers in the past. I've not registered a Domain for ages
    though.
    That's not DNS, that's the Domain Registry.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2008
  11. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    Short answer, no. Longer answer, if you want to do that most Domain Name
    Registries offer a web-based tool to manage your Domain. If you want to
    *host* the Domain Name (ie keep the authoritative zones on your own
    server) then not only do you have to register the Domain but you have to
    persuade the DNS registry systems to point to your DNS servers. It's not
    impossible, but difficult and you need a server that is up 24x7.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2008
  12. No idea. I haven't kept up with what the domain registrars have been doing
    for about 10 years. All I can say is, my own ISP, formerly Wave, now Ihug,
    hasn't tried to take ownership of my domain away from me. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2008
  13. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    You and DNS appear to have been around longer than I thought! According
    to Wikipedia it was invented in 1983ish,

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2008
  14. Alan

    EMB Guest

    It gives really basic functionality to the domain. Web requests can be
    redirected to another URL (eg the free webspace provided by your ISP).
    It also gives catch-all redirection of email to that domain to any
    single email address you want.
    Using their web interface you can change the authorative DNS servers for
    the domain, and then you can change DNS settings on said DNS servers.

    Don't confuse DNS with domain registration. Your web hosting provider
    will normally provide DNS services as well. You make DNS changes here
    (but also see above comment).

    EMB, Mar 5, 2008
  15. Some of them will offer you a secondary server. That way, you have to set up
    one DNS server (standard DNS practice is to require two). Yours is the
    primary, and theirs automatically picks up any configuration changes you
    make.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2008
  16. Alan

    Alan Guest

    I don't think they really need to *host* the DNS authoritative
    records, but I would like to be able to make changes or additions to
    the DNS records directly (via a web interface say) without having to
    go via a helpdesk or anything (and certainly not having to pay to make
    such changes).

    Does DomaiNZ offer a web-based tool to do that? Do they charge to
    make additions or changes to DNS records?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  17. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Hi EMB,

    Thanks for your answers!

    On point three, I may be confused as you point out!!

    I was specifically talking about adding a new DNS record (I think).

    For example, if my domain is:

    mydomain.co.nz

    and the DNS records start out as (fake IPs!):

    Record Type Canonical IP

    A mydomain.co.nz 111.111.111.111
    MX smtp.mydomain.co.nz 222.222.222.222
    NS terminator.xtra.co.nz 55.55.55.55

    If I want to add, say, (secondwebserver.mydomain.co.nz) can I do that
    using the web interface?

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  18. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Fair enough!

    Thanks for your help.

    Alan, Mar 5, 2008
  19. Alan

    RL Guest

    Yes. All my domains, and all contacts therein (there is more than one,
    e.g. owner and technical contact), use my Orcon e-mail address.
    There may be some restrictions on using free hosts, I'm not sure. I use
    a free Orcon account.
    E-mail addresses likely require validation, but yes, you should be able
    to change them to any e-mail address you like. See below.
    You can update all domain records via the Web interface. There is no
    charge for this.

    RL

    RL, Mar 5, 2008
  20. Alan

    Enkidu Guest

    You would still need the second level DNS providers to include the
    'glue' records for your DNS server into their DNS. For instance, if I
    wanted to host DNS for mydomain.com and my DNS is ns1.mydomain.com and
    ns2.mydomain.com then there must be records for ns1.mydomain.com and
    nd2.mydomain.com at the .com level otherwise these DNS servers cannot be
    found. But if the DNS is hosted in GoDaddy's DNS servers, then the
    entries for the mydomain.com will have NS records for GoDaddy's servers,
    since they are authoritative for the mydomain.com.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 5, 2008