    an IP address and all works fine.

    Can anybody assist in fixing this problem?
    Cheers

    =?Utf-8?B?c3RlZXJwaWtl?=, Jan 3, 2006

  2. RW: Domain names fail to access the internet, ip addresses work ok

    It almost sounds like a Zone problem. Go into the Internet Options and
    check the Internet Security level under the security tab.

    Look around while you're in there at the Trusted and Restricted Sites and
    the Privacy Policies.

    RW

    "steerpike" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to assist a friend, They have Windows XP home.
    > When using internet explorer they cannot access the internet by typing a
    > domain name. If an ip address is typed into the command bar then access

    works

    Robert Williams, Jan 3, 2006

  3. "steerpike" wrote:
    > I am trying to assist a friend, They have Windows XP home.
    > When using internet explorer they cannot access the internet by typing a
    > domain name. If an ip address is typed into the command bar then access works
    > ok, however no links work as they are all in the form www.etc etc.
    > Using the command prompt is the same, type a domain name and it fails. use
    > an IP address and all works fine.

    can you ping any of these www addresses?
    if not, try repairing the connection because you might have a name
    resolution issue.

    =?Utf-8?B?ZmVsaXBlY3B2?=, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Is there any error messages when facing that issue? If not, try reloading the
    ie.

    I believe It has to do with static IP or your internet connection LAN/
    proxy settings.

    Otherwise u having DNS issues, contact the administrator of the site that
    you are having problems with.

    It may require an upgrade to the DNS server product or a changes in the
    configuration of the DNS server.
    ===--

    =?Utf-8?B?Z3RyaWdodA==?=, Jan 6, 2006