Domain Login hangs for 105 secs when wifi enabled, but WZCSVC disa

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, May 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I'm working on a Win XP Pro SP2 build (deployed via RIS, configured via group
    policy), and had to disable the Wireless Zero Configuration service so that
    another program could be used to manage the wireless connection.

    Doing this causes login to hang for about 105-110 seconds the first time it
    is attempted after a reboot (subsequent logins process immediately). This
    happens regardless of which user attempts to logon and their rights, and
    regardless of whether the pc is on our network and able contact a domain
    controller.

    I came across this issue on an IBM R52 but was able to replicate it on an
    IBM X41. I was also able to replicate the issue on the standard IBM Windows
    XP build that comes with these laptops. In my mind that rules out the
    possibility that this issue is specific to our build, or the wireless
    connection software we are using which is not on the standard IBM build.

    Re-enabling the WZC service stops the hanging, but is not a viable solution
    in this case. Disabling the wireless connection also stops the hanging, but
    this would not be the ideal solution; the IBMs we use don't have a physical
    on/off for the wireless hardware, and enabling and disabling the network
    connection as required is something most of our users wouldn't 'get'
    (especially as it is not required for a standard XP installation running the
    WZC service) resulting in lots of helpdesk calls from frustrated users.

    Note that during the hang there is no disk activity, and the delay is almost
    exactly the same length of time as when a user attempts to log onto a pc
    without a cached profile and that cannot connect to a domain controller. My
    theory is that the pc here is attempting to contact a domain controller via
    the wireless connection and not allowing the logon to continue until it has
    timed out (though we are not using roaming profiles and "Always wait for the
    network at computer startup and login" is not configured, so as far as I can
    tell these PCs shouldn't be waiting for a domain controller before proceeding
    with a cached login.)

    Can anyone confirm that this is what's happening or or offer an alternative
    explanation? And is there a fix?!

    Guest, May 24, 2006

  2. Guest

    Pavel A. Guest

    If you leave the WZC running, but only disable it for your connection
    (by unchecking the checkbox on the wireless
    tab in properties, or by registry hack ) - will the delay disappear?

    --PA

    Pavel A., May 25, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest