    I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
    really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
    anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

    n, Dec 1, 2003

  2. n

    Peter Jones Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 23:07:05 -0800, (n) wrote:

    >I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels: it is easy for me to
    >do by moving the RGB histogram right hand slider towards the left till
    >it reaches some significant levels.
    >
    >I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
    >really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
    >anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

    Read about it at http://www.luminous-landscape.com

    Look for 'Instant Photoshop' tutorial (or perhaps article)

    Peter
    Digital Photography Reference
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/PJDigPhot.htm
    Touchup, an image viewing applet (also shows EXIF)
    http://members.shaw.ca/jonespm2/software.htm
    Health, happiness and healing
    http://www.SuperNaturalWoman.com

    Peter Jones, Dec 1, 2003

  3. n

    Mark Herring Guest

    (n) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels: it is easy for me to
    > do by moving the RGB histogram right hand slider towards the left till
    > it reaches some significant levels.
    >
    > I had a look at "curves" too. I had no idea what to do. I should
    > really be getting an adobe book at this stage but thought I would post
    > anyway since the advice here is so specific and concise.

    You are at the tip of a very large iceberg. Any of the controls that
    affects brightness and contrast is controlling the "curves"--namely
    the relationship between output and input. To help see this, try to
    get the same effect from---say--levels and curves.

    You can read the book, but I prefer to experiment. Just keep palying
    with all the tools until the effects become obvious.

    Mark Herring, Dec 1, 2003
  4. >I now enjoy improving my pictures using levels:

    Hi,

    I also enjoyed using levels until becoming more familiar with curves. Once you
    do that -- you'll really see a positive diference in your photos.

    Good luck,

    Conrad

    P.S. Thanks Peter for the wonderful web site and tutorials at:

    http://www.luminous-landscape.com

    Conrad Weiler
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad Weiler, Dec 1, 2003
  5. n

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Curves are similar to levels but with up to 14 control points. They
    allow much finer moves. The best way to learn them is to make copies of a
    file under a new name and play about a little to get an idea of how they
    work. The book on colour correction in this list
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/mani/books/mbookps.html
    goes into it heavily but all the other books do too. If you are using
    Photoshop for photography, Katrin Eismann's book is pretty much required
    reading.
    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto