Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Help please. :eek:)

    Ta.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005

  2. Craig Whitmore, Dec 28, 2005

  3. Mr Undeniably Sluttish

    XP Guest

    XP, Dec 28, 2005
  4. Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. Problem is sorted.

    In the end I used:

    dd if=FILE_NAME of=/dev/fd0

    I saw dd mentioned on the page from the link you posted. I looked up the
    info page for dd... and whaddya know! It worked. :eek:)

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 28, 2005
  6. Apple Disk Utility

    (I reckon that's at least as useful to someone who's running Linux as a
    Windows program would be)

    http://roger.geek.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Dec 28, 2005
  7. On the above quoted website I found a reference to a Windoze version of
    dd. That reminded me of the original GNU dd utility, and so I read the man
    and info pages about it and gave it a try.

    And whaddya know... it worked. :eek:)

    Basically I'm upgrading the hardware of my SmoothWall firewall and FreeBSD
    server - doubling the speed of the Server, and a five fold increase in
    speed for the firewall (both will become p3-600s).

    I'm swapping over the firewall tonight, and possibly the server also
    tonight if all goes well. I tested the firewall last night. All seemed to
    go well.

    The web interface seems so very much faster and much more responsive.

    I have come across, however, one small annoying point with Smoothwall.
    Hardware configuration. If you use a different ethernet card and load the
    saved configuration, Smoothwall is set for the original ethernet card, and
    not the new one - and it is difficult to get it to load a replacement
    driver without doing some serious digging about.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Dec 29, 2005