    I looked on Google and scanned here but with no luck.

    Is there a way?

    Thanks

    Spiderd, Jul 23, 2006

  2. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    So do it in DOS. What's the problem? Start, Run, cmd <enter>.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Spiderd

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I need to create a text file of a directory on a drive in one location
    |>and send on to my home computer by email. I could easily put
    |>directory lists in a .txt file under DOS but have not found a way to
    |>do it on XP.

    Start | Run <type in>
    %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%/Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    <enter>

    For a listing of all DOS (CMD) commands available to you, closest I
    came to was NET SEND

    Pennywise, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Nahhh...all he needs is a command prompt, a dir redirect, and pick it up
    with his Windows-based email client and email it to himself. Why make it
    difficult?

    Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    cd /xxxx (Change to the folder he wants the list from)
    dir > dir.txt <enter> (typical command options applied as desired)
    exit
    email above file home.

    Especially since in XP, sending files with net send is apparently no longer
    supported.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Spiderd

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> Start | Run <type in>
    |>> %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%systemroot%/Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    |>> <enter>
    |>>
    |>> For a listing of all DOS (CMD) commands available to you, closest I
    |>> came to was NET SEND
    |>
    |>Nahhh...all he needs is a command prompt, a dir redirect, and pick it up
    |>with his Windows-based email client and email it to himself. Why make it
    |>difficult?
    |>
    |>Start, Run, cmd <enter>
    |>cd /xxxx (Change to the folder he wants the list from)
    |>dir > dir.txt <enter> (typical command options applied as desired)
    |>exit
    |>email above file home.

    Then

    Start | Run <type in> CMD /K dir c:\temp > task & notepad task <enter>

    |>Especially since in XP, sending files with net send is apparently no longer
    |>supported.

    I notice'd that and couldn't delete the message and didn't feel like
    including an follow-up, if you play around with NET SEND you finally
    get:

    C:\temp>net send help
    Sending files is no longer supported.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3777.

    C:\temp>net helpmsg 3777

    Sending files is no longer supported.

    Pennywise, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Spiderd

    Evan Platt Guest

    Yes, dir > name.txt . Works for me.

    Evan Platt, Jul 23, 2006
  7. Spiderd

    Martik Guest

    XP is capable of running a new 'linux like' command shell:

    Martik, Jul 23, 2006
  8. Spiderd

    Noel Paton Guest

    Heh! - did you try "net send * help" ??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Jul 23, 2006
  9. Spiderd

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Kewl! It's over my head, and a bit overkill for what the OP had in mind, but
    I'm sure a lot of system admins can really use/appreciate the ability to
    code/execute scripts in an DOS-like enviroment.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 23, 2006
  10. Spiderd

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> Then
    |>>
    |>> Start | Run <type in> CMD /K dir c:\temp > task & notepad task <enter>

    |>> longer
    |>>
    |>> I notice'd that and couldn't delete the message and didn't feel like
    |>> including an follow-up, if you play around with NET SEND you finally
    |>> get:

    |>> C:\temp>net send help
    |>> Sending files is no longer supported.
    |>>
    |>> More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3777.
    |>>
    |>> C:\temp>net helpmsg 3777
    |>>
    |>> Sending files is no longer supported.

    |>Heh! - did you try "net send * help" ??

    Had to turn on my messenger service to be able to see it.

    So that was MS's fix for the messenger service "exploit", have the
    command line say it was disabled :))

    Pennywise, Jul 23, 2006
  11. Spiderd

    Martik Guest

    Simple examples using the 'grep' command:

    ie: I want to find all files than contain the test "pantec" case-insenitive
    including all sub-folders:

    msh start the shell
    grep -ir pantec *

    or I want to see all PIII with 256mb that are NOT Dell's in all txt files
    in the current folder:

    grep -i piii *.txt|grep -i 256mb *.txt|grep -iv dell *.txt

    Martik, Jul 23, 2006