    Guest Guest

    Does Windows XP x64 recognize hard drives that have data from the 32 bit
    version of windows xp? Is the NTFS the same or is it different?

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005

  2. Guest

    NNBXX Guest

    No problem :)

    NTFS is the same in its very structure, and x64 can perfectly read 32-bit
    NTFS hard drives, and vice versa. I have 3 different hard drives in my
    computer, one has x64 installed on it, and the two others XP Pro 32-bit, and
    all the drives can be read from the other ones, regardless of which drives I
    access from the other ones.

    NNBXX, Jul 15, 2005

  3. Guest

    Rick Guest

    What's the point of your question?

    I have x64 installed and it recognizes all my drives from previous MS
    systems that are formated in Fat32 and NTFS.

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  4. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I wasn't aware Los Angeles was so isolated from the rest of the world!

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    This might be a redundant post but the site is being very strange.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure because I don't want to lose any data on
    my SATA Drives and I also want to keep XP 32 bit installed just incase the I
    need it for something. Yes I do have a 64 bit processor, I should know I
    built the computer myself.

    Thanks for the info.

    Another question, since I am assuming you all have 64 bit processors, did XP
    32 bit give you any problems because you were running with a 64-bit processor
    in a 32 bit environment, ie blue screens, lock ups, random events?

    Sorry but another question. Since I know that x64 isn't a true 64 bit system
    because the AMD chips are actually 48 bit and the intel ones are 52 bit, but
    do you see a visible performance gain when running programs that are 32 bit?

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ???

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    If your trying to say that my knowledge is out of date. Your probably
    correct. I know how to build computers and write programs for computers
    decently but I am always trying to learn more. I know very little about
    computers. But why los angeles?

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005
  8. Guest

    Rick Guest

    I don't know what your definition is of "true 64 bit" but the AMD Athlon
    64 CPU use 64 bit registers for processing versus 32 bit previously.
    The "48 bits" you refer to is the current addressing scheme, and has
    nothing to do with the CPUs internal capability.

    I know almost nothing about Intel CPUs, so I won't attempt to
    disseminate any information there.

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  9. Guest

    Rick Guest

    That's the IP of your posting host.

    Rick, Jul 15, 2005
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    lol... I really should of thought of that seeing as I am CCNA but I am really
    tired. but thanks again for the information. My whole reason for asking in a
    nutshell is that I have programs that I need to be able to use and so i
    didn't want to lose win xp 32 bit but also be able to access files that were
    written in winxp32 in x64 and vice versa.

    Guest, Jul 15, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 15, 2005
  13. Guest

    Randy Guest

    WinXP Pro x32 runs fine on my Dell Xeon EM64T system. Can't really say as
    per the performance gain... I'm mostly just checking compatibility for now.
    There are a few apps that don't install or work, but for the most part, it's
    just like on a 32-bit system. For those that don't, I can't really say if
    the reason is even due to the 32- v. 64-bit architecture...

    Randy, Jul 16, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've installed windows xp x64 in a barebone pc using a AMD athlon 64
    processer. Everything works wonderfully. However, just recently I installed
    2 older hard drives from an older PC using windows Xp home edtion with a ton
    of files and pictures on it. x64 recognize hard drives but I can't get access
    to the files. Its saids I must formatted the hard drives. I know if I do
    that I will lose everthing on the drives.

    Guest, Jul 16, 2005
  15. Guest

    Rick Guest

    It sounds like there may be a hardware incompatibility. You cannot
    always unplug a hard drive from one computer, plug it into another and
    guarantee it will be properly recognized.

    I don't think your problem is caused by in x64.

    You would probably be safer connecting the 2 computers and transferring
    the files that way. You could use a null modem serial or parallel
    cable, and ethernet cable, or something along these lines.

    I had a similar experience just the other day. I had unplugged the USB
    drive on my wife's computer and couldn't remember which port it had been
    connected to. After turning the drive enclosure on, XP Pro told me the
    drive was unformatted. I knew that wasn't true, so I unplugged it from
    the port it was in and plugged it in to the one directly below. The
    drive was immediately recognized as before.

    Rick, Jul 16, 2005