    see one. My Sansa fm player also works in this mode although there is
    another mode available which I've never used.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2006

  2. cr113

    Dave Cohen Guest

    That's ok Bill. I think the confusion may be over what I previously
    mentioned, namely canon does not act the same as a storage device in
    that it doesn't assign a drive letter. It possibly uses something like MTP.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2006

  3. cr113

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    He was referring to the USB mass storage driver, which most cameras
    uses. A number of Canons (all?) don't. If XP recognizes it, it means
    that XP had a driver for it - not that the Canon uses the USB mass
    storage driver.

    Try mounting it using the USB mass storage driver in Linux and you'll
    see. I can mount all sorts of USB devices (including other cameras)
    easily using the mass storage driver. But not a certain Canon one (there
    are, of course, other ways to mount it).

    --
    Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment.

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Nov 18, 2006
  4. cr113

    Ronald Hands Guest

    Seems to me that any card reader gives the same functionality.
    You insert the card in the reader; it appears as a drive on your
    system; you transfer (copy or drag and drop) the images to whatever
    folder on whatever drive you prefer. No extra software required, as far
    as I can tell, at least in XP.
    I've used this method with three point and shoot Canons, all of
    which use AA batteries so recharging is not an issue (in fact, they
    can't be recharged in the camera, thank gawd, because I hate the idea of
    docking stations).

    -- Ron

    Ronald Hands, Nov 18, 2006
  5. Quite a few cameras do this, Olympus for instance. On the other hand, the
    Canon S1 IS and Fuji F30 that I have do not act as a remote disk, but they use
    PTP. However, I believe Windows XP has the smarts to do PTP automatically (I
    don't use Windows, so I can't say whether it is true or not).

    Michael Meissner, Nov 19, 2006
  6. cr113

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    If that's the case then the Debian and Ubuntu Linux distributions also
    have drivers for it, as does iPhoto on OSX. Additionally, HP printers
    can read the CF card. I don't have any experience of incompatibility
    with Canon.

    Bruce Lewis, Nov 19, 2006
  7. cr113

    Mueen Nawaz Guest

    That's quite true. As I said, there are other ways of automatically
    mounting it and those distributions support it. This was a headache in
    Linux a while ago and people were unhappy with Canon for not using a
    standardized driver. But soon enough, someone just coded one that'll
    work with Canon in Linux.

    It's just that if someone is using an old enough Linux distribution
    (and many, many are: There's rarely a compelling reason to upgrade), or
    one that's somewhat built from scratch (Gentoo, Slackware, etc),
    mounting the Canon is a pain compared to those that use the mass storage
    driver.

    --
    Factorials were made to make maths *look* interesting.

    /\ /\ /\ /
    / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z anl

    Mueen Nawaz, Nov 19, 2006
  8. cr113

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, cr113:

    In an older article of yours - "How to download files from Kodak
    EasyShare DX7630" (11-12-06) - you mentioned owning an "EasyShare
    printer dock."

    It will do everything you desire (i.e., battery charging & image
    transfer), but it won't show up as a drive letter, anywhere. Thus,
    you'd still need to install the EasyShare software, in order to
    upload pictures to your PC.

    By the way, I have three different models of Kodak camera docks, and
    they work well. However, being USB 1.1 devices, they're rather slow;
    therefore, I use a USB 2.0 card reader/writer, whenever large numbers
    of photos are involved.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 19, 2006
  9. cr113

    Bucky Guest

    To use the card as a flash drive (for people who don't have a card
    reader/writer).
    Does zoombrowser allow to write to the card? I didn't think it did.
    This is correct. This does make a small difference. If it's a true
    drive, then the OS treats it no differently than the C: hard drive. You
    can write to it, you can easily access the drive in scripts, batch
    jobs, command line.

    Bucky, Nov 19, 2006
  10. cr113

    cr113 Guest

    I assumed that the Easyshare puts the jpgs somewhere on my hard drive,
    but I searched my entire hard drive and couldn't find them. I must be
    doing something wrong.

    My first digital camera was a Polaroid with a serial connection. I
    would use the software to download the pictures. The jpgs were copied
    to a sub folder under c:\program files\polaroid. I assumed the Kodak
    would be the same way. It has to put the jpgs somewhere, unless it does
    something weird and zips them up or renames them.

    cr113, Nov 20, 2006
  11. cr113

    RichG Guest

    I suggest you go to Google, and download their (FREE) Picasa2 photo editing
    software.

    Not only is it very easy to use, but it will also completely scan your
    computer for pictures. It will place them in an index sorted by date, with
    thumbnails of all the pix right before your eyes.

    Nicest, easiest, sorting and cropping and fixing program I've found. Rich

    RichG, Nov 20, 2006
  12. cr113

    Tony M Guest

    When opened to download from a camera, easyshare suggests a new
    sub-folder with the name based on the current date. The Transfer tab in
    the Tools/Options menu will give the default parent folder

    Tony M

    Tony M, Nov 20, 2006
  13. cr113

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, cr113:

    On my Windows Millennium computers, the EasyShare program places its
    images in "C:\My Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures," by default.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Nov 25, 2006