    recharging dock, go to my pc and open up the E: drive and copy the jpgs
    from the camera (E: drive) to my hard drive. I hate being forced to use
    proprietary software to access the photos.

    cr113, Nov 17, 2006

  2. cr113

    Dave Cohen Guest

    You shouldn't need proprietary software. In winxp, the camera will be
    recognized either as a drive or a windows device accessible via windows
    explorer.
    In win98 you will need to load a driver for virtually anything you add,
    no big deal. Again, you will be able to access via windows explorer.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 17, 2006

  3. cr113

    George K Guest

    Look at <a
    href="http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=8994&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=3206">EASYSHARE-ONE
    Zoom Digital Camera / 6 MP</a> that comes standard with a dock and
    WiFi, and if you want to add a printer that will work with and without
    a computer you can add printer with a docking station.

    Or HP Photosmart R927 Digital Camera (L2056A#ABA),
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...=Over+8+MP&product_code=L2056A#ABA&catLevel=2

    Unfortunatly, computer software does not get updated by the
    manuacturers when new models are introduced.

    George K, Nov 17, 2006
  4. I agree with Dave. You might even want to get a card reader so you can
    download without the camera.

    I believe that there are printers that allow you to make prints directly
    from the camera.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 17, 2006
  5. cr113

    BR549 Guest

    That's not true of the Canon and Sony camera's a few of my friends have,
    don't know the model numbers off hand but they needed to install software to
    get the pictures off the camera. And yes both were running XP. I
    personally hate having some piece of software deciding where to put my
    pictures

    BR549, Nov 17, 2006
  6. cr113

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    I have had a sony (my wife and son both have one too) and now have a
    canon, we all run differing flavours of linux and all get our photos onto
    our computers easily - there is no need for the manufacturers own software.

    Neil Ellwood, Nov 17, 2006
  7. cr113

    Cgiorgio Guest

    The manual of my Ricoh Caplio GX8 says I need their dedicated software.
    After connecting the USB cable it asks via the display "press ADJ key to
    direct print". If I press it, the computer sees the camera as a disk
    drive -no need for the proprietary transfer program. The same trick might
    work for many other digicams that normally need a dedicated transfer program
    and offer PictBridge functionality.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 17, 2006
  8. cr113

    cr113 Guest

    My Kodak DX7630 appears to be the same way and I'm also running XP.
    I totally agree! I thought I was the only one! I'm a programmer, but I
    would think just about any competent user would find it easier to just
    copy the jpgs using their operating system.

    -

    -

    -

    -

    -

    cr113, Nov 17, 2006
  9. cr113

    Bill Funk Guest

    In order for this to work, the camera must be capable of being seen as
    a mass storage device.
    I know Canons don't do this, but most other currently marketed cameras
    will.

    Bill Funk, Nov 17, 2006
  10. The Sony P200 I have with the docking station does just what you want.
    I can put the camera in the cradle, turn on the camera and it shows up
    in Explorer, or any program, as an additional drive. The directory of
    the memory stick shows just like the memory card is connected via a card
    reader. I love the convenience of this setup.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Nov 17, 2006
  11. cr113

    Bucky Guest

    I have Canon SD200, and it does not need to install Canon software. XP
    recognizes the camera and I can copy files from the camera. I think all
    the SDxxx models should behave similarly. (However, you cannot write to
    the SD card, maybe a limitation in the camera itself.)

    Bucky, Nov 17, 2006
  12. cr113

    Bucky Guest

    Canons can do this. I have the SD200. I have never installed the Canon
    software. I just plug in the USB to the PC and the device shows up. I
    can drag and drop files to my hard drive. The instruction manual makes
    it sound like you have to, but you don't. (I cannot write to the card
    though, probably a camera limitation).

    Bucky, Nov 17, 2006
  13. cr113

    Steven Guest

    My Canon S3 IS , my sister's Canon SD630 and my girlfriend's Canon A530 all
    do this without having to install any software.

    Steven, Nov 17, 2006
  14. cr113

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    I agree with Bucky, and mine is a Canon Powershot s410. Our previous
    Canon didn't need special software either. I almost always use Linux
    when getting photos off the camera.

    Bruce Lewis, Nov 17, 2006
  15. cr113

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    They use their own software, but the Kodak Easyshare cameras have a docking
    system that allows very easy transfer of pix.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 18, 2006
  16. cr113

    RichG Guest

    My Sony DSC-H2 does exactly what you are requesting. Perhaps your friends
    have another Sony or have set it up so that the Sony software
    is ---incorrectly---the "Open With" choice.

    A LOT of mistakes are made when people originally install camera-specific
    software. Some programs just set themselves up as the "open with" choice,
    and others assume that you want it, but at least give you a choice.
    Checking "yes" to all choices in setting up any proprietary software is an
    invitation to have your computer filled with non-usable junk... IMHO

    Rich

    RichG, Nov 18, 2006
  17. Casio EX-Z series camera have a dockingstation/charger that has the camera
    appear as a simple removeable drive. I use this on my Z-750 at times and
    then use card readers at other times.

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Nov 18, 2006
  18. cr113

    cr113 Guest

    That sounds like just what I'm looking for. Just to make sure when you
    say the cradle, are you talking about the thing that recharges the
    camera? I'd like to be able to recharge the camera and copy the jpgs at
    the same time.

    cr113, Nov 18, 2006
  19. cr113

    Bill Funk Guest

    Wow! I obviously was out of it here.
    Sorry!

    Bill Funk, Nov 18, 2006
  20. Yes, it recharges in the cradle. It costs about $60 but, IMO, is worth
    every penny and makes using the camera very convenient. Sony provides
    software for the camera but I never installed it and it isn't required
    to use the cradle in the manner I described. I would imagine any Sony
    camera and docking station combination would work the same way. The
    P200 is a very good P&S camera but it is an older model and might be out
    of production now.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Nov 18, 2006