does this make sense, fsb question to ecs about my mainboard

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by paul gregory, Oct 10, 2005.

  1. paul gregory

    paul gregory Guest

    I sent this email to ecs tech support and got the reply below. I feel
    like I got the runaround. BTW, I told them in a followup email my cpu was a
    pentium4 prescott running at 2.66 GHz, and haven't got a reply yet, anyone
    think anything of this?

    1. the introduction in the manual says the northbridge chipset
    supports fsb frequencies of 800/533, how do I select 800, cpu-z reports my
    system is currently running fsb at 533.

    2. t! he introduction in the manual states the memory controller
    supports dd r sdram running at frequencies of 400/333/266 MHz. I am
    currently running ddr@400 MHz. The bios has 3 options for memory speed, 266,
    333, and auto. Is the manual incorrect, as there is no option to select a
    manual memory speed of 400 MHz. thank you. paul gregory

    Dear Valued Customer:

    FSB is running inside the CPU, not on the motherboard. So, there is no
    way to change the FSB for the CPU.

    What is the specification of CPU you currently using?

    Memory speed auto detect by the BIOS. Depend ont he quality of the
    memory, you will see what choice of memory speed inside the BIOS menu?

    Thank you for using ECS products

    ECSUSA Technical Support
    ky

    -------------

    paul gregory, Oct 10, 2005

  2. paul gregory

    paul gregory Guest

    Me again.
    thanks for your reply derek. Since I was delving into this area for the
    first time, I had much to learn,
    This was just a part of my learning process. Here's what the final answer
    ended up being.
    Yes, I did need a ram upgrade, taken care of. Bought some ddr400.
    easy fix. My next boot, checking with CPU-Z, showed me running FSB at 533 !
    Great, but still not 800 MHZ.
    Another newsreader answered to make sure cpu supported 800 mhz fsb. I
    replied that I was just sure it did, because the specs for the board/cpu
    combo stated 800/533 fsb. no problem. Or was there?
    after checking with the motherboard manufacturer tech support people, it
    turned out the motherboard does support 800 MHz fsb.
    Good deal. Next stop, Intels website. checked specs for P4 506@2.66
    GHz. AHA. CPU supports 533 MHz fsb only, not 800.
    And there it is. I got the combo at fry's electronics for 130 bucks. The
    800/533 fsb support refers to the motherboard/cpu support, not as a whole,
    but seperately. Yes I was a little upset at the advertising snafu, but
    technically, they are correct. I should have dug a little deeper BEFORE
    buying.
    Bottom line is my system is much faster, it was an economical upgrade,
    and next time I know what I'm looking for. Thanks for your answers.
    Paul

    paul gregory, Oct 15, 2005