    link to one. http://www.pbase.com/image/73613356

    Thanks

    Eugene

    Eugene, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Eugene

    Marvin Guest

    Most of the bright areas look like over-exposed lights.
    The brightest, in the middle, is at the top of what looks
    like a lamp post. There are two more in a straight line, at
    about a 10 O'clock angle with that bright lamp. They may be
    from internal reflections in your lens and/or camera.

    I'm assuming you were outdoors when you took the picture.
    If you took the picture through a window, there are other
    possibilities of reflections.

    Marvin, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Eugene

    Alan Meyer Guest

    That looks like good reasoning to me. The straight line
    connecting all the lights, the relatively even spacing, and
    the declining brightness makes these look like reflections.

    At any rate, I don't think they could be dust spots on the
    sensor. Wouldn't dust spots be dark?

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Jan 27, 2007
  4. Eugene

    Eugene Guest

    Thanks for the reply's I breathed a sigh of relief when you both say its not
    dust on the sensor. Your probably right in your thoughts of reflection from
    the street lights.

    Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

    Eugene

    Eugene, Jan 27, 2007
  5. Eugene

    Ken Lucke Guest

    An even simpler method of putting your mind at rest, instead of relying
    on opinions (which I have to say that in this case I agree with) from a
    single, complex picture, would be to take a picture of a relatively
    even colored and illuminated surface (an all white monitor screen is
    good, or a white piece of paper with diffuse lighting) at the smallest
    aperture you can set to (and slightly defocused), and look at the test
    results. Even more telling is to take that same test image, load it
    into Photoshop (or other), and use "autolevels" on it - anything on the
    sensor will jump out at you.

    No opinions necessary - you'll SEE where/if there is a problem.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Jan 27, 2007
  6. Eugene

    Annika1980 Guest

    No sir. Those are UFOs. Now that they've spotted you, you're
    screwed.

    Annika1980, Jan 27, 2007
  7. Its certainly flare, but could be because you have dust on the sensor :^)
    Only way to tell is shoot a shot of a blue sky then compare the areas.
    Dust will certainly show up.

    Gregory Blank, Jan 27, 2007
  8. Eugene

    Bhogi Guest

    That looks exactly like reflections from a UV filter you have screwed
    on your lens, to screw your night shots :)

    Bhogi, Jan 28, 2007
  9. Eugene

    LuvLatins Guest

    I had a UV filter on my Nikon D200 and was in times square at
    christmas, I took a shot that had a huge defect on the face of a
    subject and thought the camera was defective. After much worry I took
    the advice of those on here and took off the filter no more issues,
    and that one picture is evidence IMO that those UV filters are just
    more trobule then they are worth. I recommend you take the UV filter
    off.

    LuvLatins, Jan 28, 2007
  10. Probably not. The classic case to show dust on the sensor at its worst
    is an exposure of a bright field like the sky, stopped way down (like
    f/22). What you've got is pretty much the opposite of that, so if it
    *is* showing dust you've got an entire dust-bunny! But other people's
    suggestions about what you're seeing sound reasonable to me, too.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 28, 2007
  11. Eugene

    Pete D Guest

    Exactly what I was thinking.