does the ADSL WIC do symetric 512/512 layer-2 DSL?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Kralizec Craig, May 16, 2006.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I'm weighing options for hardware to go with a layer-2 512/512 symetric DSL
    service that I will be getting soon to finally upgrade from a 128 kbps ISDN.

    I've been pointed to an Australian DSL modem that is preferred by the
    company offering the service, but I'm keen to look at options including
    using a spare ADSL WIC card I acquired some time back with a Cisco 17xx
    series router instead of using a seperate DSL modem.

    So this leads to my question of whether the ADSL WIC can support symetric
    512/512 layer-2 DSL? :cool:

    If not then I'll go with the seperate modem/router option. At present the
    router is a 1603 so of course it can't work with the ADSL WIC.

    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

    Craig.

    --
    SUN RIPENED KERNELS - Surplus Sun Microsystems Equipment, Parts + Accessories
    Location: Sydney, Australia - Phone: 02-9520-2547 - Fax: 02-9520-2557

    Kralizec Craig, May 16, 2006

  2. Kralizec Craig

    Uncle Bully Guest

    "Kralizec Craig" <> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm weighing options for hardware to go with a layer-2 512/512 symetric
    > DSL
    > service that I will be getting soon to finally upgrade from a 128 kbps
    > ISDN.
    >
    > I've been pointed to an Australian DSL modem that is preferred by the
    > company offering the service, but I'm keen to look at options including
    > using a spare ADSL WIC card I acquired some time back with a Cisco 17xx
    > series router instead of using a seperate DSL modem.
    >
    > So this leads to my question of whether the ADSL WIC can support symetric
    > 512/512 layer-2 DSL? :cool:

    DSL is a group of technologies, and SHDSL has different standards from ADSL.
    Not 100% sure if it is impossible, but I would put money on it not being
    supported

    Uncle Bully, May 16, 2006

  3. Kralizec Craig

    Kubalister Guest

    Kralizec Craig wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I'm weighing options for hardware to go with a layer-2 512/512 symetric DSL
    > service that I will be getting soon to finally upgrade from a 128 kbps ISDN.
    >
    > I've been pointed to an Australian DSL modem that is preferred by the
    > company offering the service, but I'm keen to look at options including
    > using a spare ADSL WIC card I acquired some time back with a Cisco 17xx
    > series router instead of using a seperate DSL modem.
    >
    > So this leads to my question of whether the ADSL WIC can support symetric
    > 512/512 layer-2 DSL? :cool:

    That depends on which DSL standard you're using (and you haven't
    identified).
    ADSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric
    SHDSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric
    SDSL can support 512/512kbps symmetric

    So which standard is the service you are referring to????

    Please provide a link to describe the service or contact your ISP.

    If it's ADSL then YES, the ADSL WIC will work.
    If it's SHDSL then NO, you'll need to get an SHDSL WIC.

    Kubalister, May 16, 2006
  4. "Uncle Bully" <> writes:

    >"Kralizec Craig" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi everyone,
    >>
    >> I'm weighing options for hardware to go with a layer-2 512/512 symetric
    >> DSL
    >> service that I will be getting soon to finally upgrade from a 128 kbps
    >> ISDN.
    >>
    >> I've been pointed to an Australian DSL modem that is preferred by the
    >> company offering the service, but I'm keen to look at options including
    >> using a spare ADSL WIC card I acquired some time back with a Cisco 17xx
    >> series router instead of using a seperate DSL modem.
    >>
    >> So this leads to my question of whether the ADSL WIC can support symetric
    >> 512/512 layer-2 DSL? :cool:

    >DSL is a group of technologies, and SHDSL has different standards from ADSL.
    >Not 100% sure if it is impossible, but I would put money on it not being
    >supported

    Thanks for that. I'm suspecting the same and will try to track down some
    definitive info on Cisco's site. Just though someone here may already know
    for sure.

    Regards,

    Craig.

    Kralizec Craig, May 17, 2006