    the poster is the one that broke the act..?

    Or is the case that its far easer to blame the person that dnloaded the file,
    weather he has used it on not..?

    Peter M, Jan 24, 2009

  2. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    Copying=using. Without the permission of the copyright holder, you have no
    right to do that.

    Downloading=copying. Without the permission of the copyright holder, you
    have no right to do that.
    See above. By "use", you probably mean "watch" or " listen to". That's not
    copyright infringement in and of itself. However, the simple act of
    downloading the copyrighted files without permisdsion -- whether or not you
    ever actually watch or listen to them -- yes, that's copyright infringement.

    impossible, Jan 24, 2009

  3. Big Content sues the uploaders, not the downloaders.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 24, 2009
  4. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    Past the age of consent, ignorance of the law is never a viable defense.
    Simple really. Check the site you're downloading from to see where you
    they've stored documentation from the author granting you permission. If you
    can't obtain such permission, don't download.

    impossible, Jan 24, 2009
  5. Peter  M

    news2.thing Guest

    isnt it possession?

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, Jan 25, 2009
  6. Peter  M

    news2.thing Guest

    I think it might depend on what the copyright holder wants....ie its
    their copyright so they get to set the rules...there is of course fair
    use....

    I have some sympathy for copyright holders however n some cases they
    are not only trying to retain their rights but extend them past thier
    rights...which is not fair.

    Just from looking around people "I know" though, my impression is
    copyright infringement seems wholesale and widespread....

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, Jan 25, 2009
  7. Peter  M

    news2.thing Guest

    but in a court of law you could demonstrate that error and the case
    would or should at least be dismissed.
    Exactly, one of the issues....but to a degree commonsense/experience
    should be telling you what is probably restricted and what is not...

    ie it should be perfectly obvious that downloading shrek is
    naughty....a published pdf document on the web, harder....linking past
    a website's frontend to the back page of interest...now thats an
    interesting one.....google search taking you directky there, also
    interesting....

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, Jan 25, 2009
  8. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    Damages
    Its civil law.

    oneofus, Jan 25, 2009
  9. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    One, Me, Myself, I, must not download copright material.

    Problem is that I do so every week, as do many others in this country of
    ours. All of it is protected by the GPL copyright, or the Creative Commons
    Liecence.

    http://creativecommons.org/

    Copyright, is becoming like the word human; there are many variants. Keep up
    please.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  10. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    Indeed. This is *the* point of this Act which is at the nub.

    Inocence until proven guilty, one of the fundumental cornerstones of this
    countries law for 100+ years.

    In many ways this law is like having no speedo in your car and then being
    told that your have been speeding.

    expe

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  11. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    Okay, tell us of a bittorrent site which does this? Or the site which leads
    to the Bittorrent link/file?

    For me, if it is an Open source software file, I know that in all
    probibility it copyrighted, by the GPL and thus I am free to download it.

    Creative commons likewise.

    The point you make that they have stored info from the author saying it is
    okay to download. How does one know it is the author who has signed the
    documentation?

    Finally, do all countries have the same law as this?

    impossible, you have posted under a real name at last ;-)

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  12. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    I am still on Usenet

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  13. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    I want Shrek and wish to *pay* for it via download.

    See, copyright is about the conditions.

    Nah, the movie industry does not deal in this format

    In short lawyers come in like a robbers dog.

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  14. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    Indeed. Xerox started it all off.

    Waht this law is about is some corps having paniced that their wallet intake
    maybe sliding, albeit potential.

    Like George W. Bush they have gone to war, in the hope that they can find
    and destory the WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION. Iraq proved otherwise, or are
    they still looking? George, Tony and Howard

    Gordon, Jan 25, 2009
  15. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    Don't download from BitTorrent sites if you can't be sure you're not
    downloading pirated material.
    When in doubt, don't download.
    Which country were you planning to download pirated material from?

    impossible, Jan 25, 2009
  16. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    Obfuscation seems to be your specialty. You would people to beleive that
    copyright law is very confusing and that you therefore cannot be blamed for
    illegally downloading pirated materials from p2p sites. You are wrong, and
    promoting such piracy does you absolutely no credit.

    GPL'd software and copyrighted works released in the Creative Commons have
    never been in dispute since the authors have expressly given permission to
    have their works copied and distributed. You can freely download this
    material wherever you find it. But if you download copyrighted music,
    videos, or proprietary software without the author's permission, you are
    infringing. When in doubt, ask the author.

    impossible, Jan 25, 2009
  17. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    Quit playing dumb, Allistar. You don't use p2p -- or any other method -- to
    download files unless you have proof that the author of the work has
    consented to having the files copied.

    impossible, Jan 25, 2009
  18. Peter  M

    Rob S Guest

    Many years ago I broke my speedo cable. I tried to get it replaced on a
    Sunday in Greymouth, which turned out to be mission impossible, so,
    hoping to cover myself in the event I was pulled up for speeding, I got
    a mechanic to write a note explaining the circumstances (I had to get
    back to Dunedin by 7am Monday).

    As it turns out, I was stopped for speeding, 80mph at 3am on a long,
    straight road with full moon, clear skies and no other traffic. My note
    made no difference, the incident costing me $120 after appealing as high
    as I could go. My defence being that it is impossible to accurately
    guess your speed in those circumstances with no other traffic to gauge
    speed by.

    Try covering your speedo and see if you can get to and stay at 60mph
    (100kph), say by having a friend tail you checking your speed.

    Rob S, Jan 26, 2009
  19. Get the Torrent from a reputable source, and it doesn't matter who the
    seeders are, you know you've got the right files.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 26, 2009
  20. Peter  M

    impossible Guest

    It's not a "possession" rule, it's an infringement of copyright rule. Don't
    download a music, video, or software file without the permission of the
    author. When in doubt, don't download. If you violate that rule, you're far
    from innocent of any wrong-doing.

    impossible, Jan 26, 2009