  1. Nicholas

    Nicholas Guest

    Does 2950 switch have function DHCP relay ?

    Nicholas, Oct 23, 2003

  2. No,

    The 2950 series is a pure layer-2 switch and cannot be upgraded.
    DHCP Relay features require a router or layer-3 switch.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Oct 23, 2003

  3. :The 2950 series is a pure layer-2 switch and cannot be upgraded.

    Not so; the 2950 series with EI image are multi-layer. For example,
    port-based Access Control Parameters (ACP) are in layer 4 terms.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_data_sheet09186a00801a0c5b.html

    :DHCP Relay features require a router or layer-3 switch.

    I don't seem to find this feature indexed in the Feature Navigator.
    The closest I find is "DHCP Relay Agent Support for Unnumbered Interfaces".

    Walter Roberson, Oct 23, 2003
  4. Nicholas

    Dave Keith Guest

    Ya, but the 2950 is still an 802.1d bridge, or layer 2 switch. It is not a
    router or layer 3 switch. It does not support any routing protocols, and
    likewise does not support the IP HELPER ADDRESS, which is the feature that
    Cisco uses to impliment a BOOTP RELAY AGENT, which is the thing that does
    DHCP Relay. The 3550 is another story ...

    Dave

    Dave Keith, Oct 23, 2003
  5. :Ya, but the 2950 is still an 802.1d bridge, or layer 2 switch. It is not a
    :router or layer 3 switch. It does not support any routing protocols, and
    :likewise does not support the IP HELPER ADDRESS, which is the feature that
    :Cisco uses to impliment a BOOTP RELAY AGENT, which is the thing that does
    :DHCP Relay. The 3550 is another story ...

    The 2950 supports igmp snooping. That is arguably making a switching
    decision based upon layer 5+ information [of another packet], which
    rather confuses matters. And the Access Control Parameters (ACP) need
    to examine Layer 4 information. I'd suggest that the 2950 is therefor a
    multi-layer switch with fairly restricted multilayer switching.

    12.1(19)EA1 supports dhcp snooping, by the way. It doesn't make
    any switching decisions based upon the snooping: I'm pointing
    out that the 2950 is actively examining DHCP packets.

    You are correct that the 2950 does not appear to make any routing
    decisions.

    Walter Roberson, Oct 24, 2003
  6. Erik Tamminga, Oct 24, 2003