    Does filing bankruptcy give you protection from repaying money
    obtained by fraud? I think debts stemming from fines & restitution
    survive.

    John A., Jul 25, 2011

  2. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Credit card disputes are not always about fraud. They are often about
    incorrect billing...price not as quoted, incorrect unit price,
    incorrect extension, and simple errors in addition. While these are
    problems that could be solved before it get to a dispute stage, some
    merchants are not responsive to customer complaints. This kind of
    merchant is the kind that may end up in bankruptcy.

    tony cooper, Jul 25, 2011

  3. RichA

    Peter N Guest

    Fraud will not be discharged in Bankruptcy. But, there might also be
    a legitimate dispute, payment for which might be a preference.

    Peter N, Jul 25, 2011
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i don't bully anyone. your response is nothing but an ad hominem attack.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2011
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    wrong.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2011
  6. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Of course you do. You bully the cashier who is following the rules
    given her by her boss, but you don't have the balls to confront the
    boss. You've admitted that you never talk to the store manager or the
    owner.

    You know the cashier has no control. She has to follow the
    instructions of her boss or lose her minimum wage job. Yet, you
    choose to lecture her on merchant agreement rules and then slink home
    where you report the store without speaking to the responsible person.
    A coward's action.

    You feel it's right to refuse to show ID when presenting a credit
    card, but here's a case where a store clerk saved the credit card
    companies thousands of dollars in fraudulent charges because he asked
    for ID:

    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...-credit-cards-seized-20110727,0,6687023.story

    tony cooper, Jul 28, 2011
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nope. all i said was i don't report the issue to the store manager.
    during the transaction, the manager might be called (by the cashier)
    and then i discuss it with the manager. reporting it is a last resort.
    nonsense. the store must abide by the rules, just as customers do.
    that wasn't about showing id for a credit card purchase. you have to
    provide id to buy cigarettes and booze. it also doesn't say what the
    'unusual activity' was.

    you really don't understand this stuff, do you?

    Guest, Jul 28, 2011
  8. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I see several issues:
    as I read the article, the clerk asked for the ID in connection with a
    cigarette purchase;

    In New York, and I suppose other jurisdictions, the finding of a small
    amount of hash is frequently a case of dropsy;

    Asking for ID is OK in connection with a large purchase by credit card,
    however I never permit my driver's license to be copied. If the clerk
    want to copy that information I ask for a manager.

    PeterN, Jul 28, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    In a legitimate pricing dispute, the bank will not reimburse. Indeed I
    can be 100% right and if there is no one to reimburse me I do not get
    the money. Wake up and smell the coffee.

    PeterN, Jul 28, 2011
  10. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Oh, so you lied when you said:

    "oh, i don't report it to the store manager. i report it to mastercard
    or visa. there's even a handy complaint form online"

    You have to give me some slack if you are going to keep changing your
    story.
    I understand how to read an article that says: "He (Anderson) said
    that Houari would give him credit and gift cards to use in various
    stores to buy cigarettes," Haught said. "Houari then paid Anderson a
    dollar for each pack he brought out. Anderson said they recently
    traveled to Florida to do the same thing they had done in New York.

    "According to Anderson, Houari would use the laptop computer and
    magnetic strip card reader/writer to prepare the cards and Anderson
    would make all of the cigarette purchases,"

    tony cooper, Jul 28, 2011
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there is no change in my story. one does not contradict the other.

    Guest, Jul 28, 2011
  12. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Cigarettes or not, you have stated:
    '
    "neither. i politely explain that merchants *cannot* require an id for
    a credit card transaction. if they still insist, they get reported.

    tony cooper, Jul 28, 2011
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    there you go twisting things. they can't require an id because it's a
    credit card transaction, however, the transaction might require an id
    for *other* reasons, including booze & cigarettes. a cash paying
    customer would have to show id too.

    Guest, Jul 29, 2011
  14. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    My "mental pictures" of people I hadn't previously seen, seemed to be
    wrong, more often than not. In your instance, I'm undecided, due to the
    goggles and the distorted nature of underwater scenes.

    Hmmm..."mental pictures" may actually be a remotely on-topic term! I
    hereby nominate it, as a potential candidate for a "Shoot-In" mandate.

    John Turco, Jul 29, 2011
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Conjecture no more, John. This link is to a photo of me. I use the
    same photo as my SmugMug avatar.

    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/photos/i-QQPrnjS/0/XL/i-QQPrnjS-XL.jpg

    tony cooper, Jul 29, 2011
  16.
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 31, 2011
  17. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    John Turco, Aug 6, 2011
  18. RichA

    John Turco Guest

    I'm curious; are you a professional photographer, by any chance?

    John Turco, Aug 6, 2011
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    PeterN, Aug 6, 2011
  20. I earn my living sitting in a chair, pressing small plastic
    rectangles with my fingers while peering at many tiny, colored
    dots. Sometimes I lean back.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 8, 2011