Does that mean Nikon's auto-photo mode is illegal?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jul 9, 2011.

  1. Where in the published reports does it say "He did not ask
    about installing any software"? URL, please.

    Ok, so it's *not* a protected computer. It's a completely
    unprotected computer. How can one commit "unauthorized access to
    protected computers" when the computers in question are completely
    unprotected --- so unprotected that they need to be wiped and
    reimaged every night?

    (Apart from the fact that I'd just use a writeable (COW) snapshot
    and drop the snapshot and set up a new one whenever I want a
    pristine state ...)

    Then how could he commit "Computer fraud"?
    Your own claims show he didn't.

    What part of "necessary" did you not understand, so that you
    start with "however" and disagree with the truth?

    1. Borrowing is one form of using equipment one doesn't own.
    2. How would you describe his computer use?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jul 24, 2011

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nobody ever said they were necessary for all of us to use. there you go
    again, twisting things.

    Guest, Jul 24, 2011

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    read what you wrote. you said the same thing!

    obviously if you lose the dispute you have to pay. does everything need
    to be spelled out for you?

    the original claim was not being able to stop payment on a debit card.
    that's wrong. it's very easy to do.

    Guest, Jul 24, 2011
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    You don't see a difference between "you don't have to pay" and "you
    don't have to pay unless you lose the dispute"?
    How do you stop payment on a debit card? The money is deducted from
    your account. That's payment.

    If you dispute it, and win, you may get the money back but you have
    not been able to stop payment. The money was removed from your
    account.

    In a credit card dispute, you don't have to pay the disputed amount
    until the dispute is resolved in the other party's favor.

    I know you get a lot of income from your airport survey reports, but
    some people just can't afford to be without a disputed amount until
    the process is resolved. They can incur other costs and problems in
    the meantime.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  5. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I think it's a bit significant. I'm fortunate in not living
    hand-to-mouth financially, but many people are not so fortunate. An
    unexpected withdrawal of a couple of hundred bucks from their account
    due to an error or fraud could be very significant. It can mean the
    difference between bounced checks and the resultant fees and the
    ability to make a car, mortgage, or rent payment. Again, fees will
    result and the problem compounds.

    I think it the problems are more significant in the low income group
    because they may be able to qualify for a debit card but not qualify
    for a credit card or their credit card can be maxxed out.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    he said he asked the guard about taking photos. he did not say he asked
    about installing software.
    that doesn't mean he has free reign over them. they aren't his
    computers.

    if you see an unattended car with the keys in the ignition, you don't
    have the right to take it for a drive. 'it wasn't locked and no alarm
    went off" isn't going to work.

    the computers in the store are not his. he does not own them. apple
    doesn't go out of their way to block installs because a lot of people
    like to test their favourite apps to see how well they run on a
    particular mac.

    this guy went *well* beyond that. he installed his software every day,
    after the machines were reimaged overnight, on computers he did not
    own, using them for his own personal gain.

    Guest, Jul 24, 2011
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yep, i said that. on a debit card the money is withdrawn and later
    refunded. very simple.
    then they shouldn't be living outside their means.

    Guest, Jul 24, 2011
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Wow. That cashier you bully about not adhering to the merchant
    agreement who uses her debit card and the transaction goes through for
    $200 instead of $20, and then can't make her car payment on time and
    gets whacked with a late payment is in trouble because she's living
    beyond her means, eh? The $180 may be refunded to her, but not the
    late fee.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  9. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I was commenting on the conditions in 1979 when I went there.
    American firms were not selling directly to Cuba then. Forget the
    law, it would have been a public relations disaster for any firm to
    have been caught doing so.

    The average American's attitude has softened considerably over the
    years. Most Americans would favor normalizing relations. The hard
    core supporters of the embargo are Cuban-Americans. They wield a lot
    of political clout.

    American medical-related firms have long been selling their products
    to Mexican and Canadian distributors, and these distributors then sell
    to Cuba.
    Good idea. We took about two dozen tee shirts with us to Kenya for
    the same reason. We have a friend who owns a screen printing company
    and he gave us rejects from some of his runs. The shirts were
    immensely popular and no one complained about the printing flaws.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  10. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Dive skins are not the same as a wet suit, although they are helpful
    in coldish water because the water trapped between the skin and the
    wearer's skin warms quickly. Skins are made of Lycra (not nylon) and
    very easy to get on. Unlike a wet suit, they are comfortable out of
    the water and very wearable in tropic conditions on the boat.

    Here's me in a skin handling a ray in Sting Ray City, Cayman Islands:

    http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f244/cooper213/skins.jpg

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    As even you pointed out there s a difference between "stop" and
    "dispute." Aside from what Tony Cooper has pointed out, if I win the
    dispute: with stop payment on a credit card I do not have to pay; With
    a debit card, I have to hope the shoddy merchant is still in business,
    or doesn't file a Bankruptcy petition for 90 days after I get paid.

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Only if the merchant is still in business.

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011
  13. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    I do not disagree with you at all, on that point. I forgot my sarcastic
    tag on my comment.

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    What about fraud? Not having a debit card, I'm not up on the terms
    and conditions.

    If someone finds a fraudulent way to use my credit card to buy an
    expensive Canon camera from a store, I can win a dispute by proving 1)
    I was not in the town where the camera was purchased, 2) the signature
    is not mine, or, 3) by proving I'm a Nikon person. The money never
    leaves my bank account.

    If I had a debit card, and that card was used fraudulently, the charge
    would immediately be removed from my bank account. If I win the
    dispute, who reimburses me?

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  15. Cite?

    John McWilliams, Jul 24, 2011
  16. I'm talking widespread use in the US: relatively new.

    You might as well claim digital photography is fifty years old, based on
    early private and gov't work.

    John McWilliams, Jul 24, 2011
  17. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Me

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011
  18. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    How do you cite a reference for something you hope will or won't
    happen?

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  19. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Ummmm... are you familiar with Dilbert? ;)

    John A., Jul 25, 2011
  20. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    The similarity has been pointed out before. I should comb my hair
    with Photoshop.

    tony cooper, Jul 25, 2011