    Yes, but fast food restaurants are a modern technological development.
    They are capable of instantly processing protein into undigestible
    mass. If you disparage them, you must live in a cave.

    tony cooper, Jul 22, 2011

  2. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Yeah, but if I don't have cash, my wife does. And then there's the
    cash stash in the safe. I don't have any concerns about using an ATM,
    I've just never seen any need to bother with one.
    The cash stash isn't that significant.
    To me. Benefit to me.
    That's one thing that I do have concerns about. Debit card
    transactions are non-reversible and non-challengeable. Again, I've
    never been in a situation where I wished I had a debit card.

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    what if you aren't near the safe?
    wrong.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  4. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    I'd do the same thing you'd do if you leave your wallet at home with
    the card in it and needed cash: go home.

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    once again, you're twisting things. nobody said anything about leaving
    a wallet at home.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  6. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    He's twisting?

    PeterN, Jul 23, 2011
  7. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Enjoy. I was in Cuba in 1979 before the rules were relaxed. At that
    time, it was required that Americans exchange a minimum of US$100 cash
    for Cuban Pesos. The Peso was artificially valued at something like
    $1.25 so the Peso was worth more than the dollar. No Pesos could be
    exchanged back into US$s, so I had to spend the money.

    There was really nothing much to buy with the Peso. Everything was
    cheap goods from the Communist bloc. The best thing to spend money on
    was the ice cream in Havana (great!), but $100 buys a lot of ice
    cream. There was a shop that sold Cuban cigars in the airport
    departure lounge, but I wasn't going to take that chance.

    I ended up giving about US$25 in Pesos to a relative of someone in the
    group. I also gave him some of my clothes since they were better
    quality than was then available in Cuba.

    Some very nice stuff was available for sale in one state-owned store,
    but only US$ were accepted.

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    It was in 1979, so my recall's a bit fuzzy, but the way I remember it
    was that it was difficult to get permission from the US gov't to
    travel to Cuba, but getting a visa from Cuba was no problem. It took
    months to arrange the trip due to difficulties with our State
    Department.

    I was there with a government-authorized group of businessmen to
    determine the interest in opening up some trade barriers: if the
    barriers were relaxed, would we trade with Cuba?

    The trade opportunity didn't really interest me because I was in the
    specialty medical instrumentation field. Cuba already had access to
    everything in this line through Canada and Mexico. Cuba's problem was
    not access, but their shortage of western dollars.
    With the exception of some government employees, the Cubans were warm
    and friendly. Food is good, photographic opportunities abound, and
    the experience is worth having. We were warned about photographing
    anything military in nature, but that may not be the case now.
    Think of the little things. Bullfrog sunscreen, for example. A small
    first-aid kit. Brand name items you are used to and know work. Extra
    batteries. Routine things you can buy locally may not be available
    there, or available at exorbitant prices.

    In Munich, after days of rain, I got a bad case of athlete's foot due
    to soaked leather shoes. I spent hours looking for a tube of Desenex
    and couldn't find anything comparable.

    I have a full kit of dive gear, but if I had to take just a few items
    it would be my mask and snorkel. I can use a rented BCD, but I want
    my own mask and snorkel. I always pack gloves and skins (lightweight
    nylon dive suit) because I react very, very badly to fire coral, but
    that's me.

    Rum, if you like it.
    This is the place: http://tinyurl.com/3o229a7

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011
  9. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    With a debit card I cannot stop payment in the event of a dispute with a
    merchant.

    Have a great trip to Cuba.

    PeterN, Jul 23, 2011
  10. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    In my diving days I always brought my own regulator, mask, snorkel and
    fins. I also used an Ikelite housing for my Nikkormat, with a 20mm lens
    and a Vivitar strobe, also in an Ikelite housing.

    I've never been to Cuba and doubt f I will be able to. As I said
    earlier, have a great trip.

    PeterN, Jul 23, 2011
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yes he is. the issue was not about a forgotten wallet, it was about
    needing cash.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  12. RichA

    Guest Guest

    maybe you can't but others can. the main difference is that with a
    debit card, the money has been withdrawn and you must wait to get it
    refunded, whereas with a credit card you don't have to pay any disputed
    charges.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  13. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Not quite. If I have a credit card with a $5,000 upper limit, and
    something is charged to my account for $1,000 that I dispute, I can
    still charge up to $4,000. If something is charged to a debit card
    for $1,000, that amount is immediately removed from my bank account
    even if I dispute the charge.

    The results of the dispute may return the $1,000 to me, but I don't
    have to "pay" the disputed charge in the meantime if a credit card is
    used. I will have to pay the amount in either case if I lose the
    dispute.

    In the case of the debit card, the withdrawal of the $1,000 can cause
    checks in process to bounce, automatic withdrawals to be refused, and
    fees to accumulate in the account.

    There are many situations where people keep less money in their bank
    account than the amount of their upper limit of their credit card.
    Especially if their bank does not offer a money market account.

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    What you posed was an issue of being close to the source of cash. You
    posited that if I was not near my safe I couldn't get at my emergency
    supply of cash. That would only happen if I was away from home.

    You would be in the same position if you forgot your wallet with your
    card in it and didn't have access to your source of cash: the card
    needed to access money from an ATM.

    The two situations are comparable. The solution in both is to return
    home. Me to have access to the safe, and you to have access to the
    card.

    You are so intent on contradicting anything I say that you are looking
    increasingly foolish and petty.

    tony cooper, Jul 23, 2011
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    the card is always with me. there is no need to return home to get it.
    if i need cash, i can stop at any atm, which are pretty much
    everywhere.

    the original scenario was being out on a sunday night and you need
    cash. most people who go out bring their wallet, except maybe you.

    what if you don't have that option to return home, say your car broke
    down? what if you are miles from home, or maybe in a different country?
    they're not at all comparable.
    not at all. you're the one coming up with crazy contrived scenarios
    (e.g., rocky). i'm just pointing out how ridiculous and irrelevant they
    are.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    that's exactly what i said. do you just like to argue?
    that's possible, or you can replenish the $1000 until things are
    resolved. or you can get the bounce coverage banks are pushing.

    Guest, Jul 23, 2011
  17. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Well, then, I am always close to my wallet which has cash in it, my
    wife who has cash with her, and my safe.

    If you can claim you never would forget your wallet, then I can claim
    I never would forget to go to the bank in advance of needing cash.
    Fair enough?
    Twisting, there? Can't make a legitimate argument?

    In the 50-plus years I've had a checking account I've never been in a
    situation where lack of cash with me has caused me a problem. I'm
    supposed to worry about it now?
    It's called preparation. If I'm going to a different country or on a
    trip I prepare for the trip and take cash and/or traveler's checks.
    And, I have credit cards. If in town, I'd call my son or a friend.

    I've been to most countries in Europe, a couple of countries in
    Africa, Mexico, Canada, Central America, and several Caribbean
    countries. I've never, once, needed an ATM.
    Only when you claim it is not possible for you to forget your wallet
    at home. I would say that almost all men have, at some time in their
    lives, done this. The last time I did it I was in work pants doing
    yard work and went to get gas for the mower. My wallet was in my
    other pants. Took me all of ten minutes to return home, get my
    wallet, and go back to the gas station.
    Like it not being possible to forget your wallet? I haven't gone that
    crazy.
    And I'm pointing out how foolish you are in your attempts to argue.

    ATMs are a wonderful convenience for those who choose to use them.
    They are not a necessary thing for all of us to use.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  18. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Read what you wrote. You said you don't have to pay any disputed
    charges. That's not quite right.
    You don't understand that some people don't have the means to
    replenish their account? Or don't have a second banking source from
    which to replenish?

    People like those minimum wage cashiers you bully about merchant
    agreements. People who may not be approved for bounce coverage.

    tony cooper, Jul 24, 2011
  19. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Oh!

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    And that is not a significant difference.

    PeterN, Jul 24, 2011