    Why would that be? Sorry, but one does not have to be an employee of a
    company to act as its agent. One only has to have a contract allowing
    one to do so.

    J. Clarke, Jul 20, 2011

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yes it's possible, but why would apple give a rent-a-cop authority to
    decide what gets installed on the machines in the store? they're there
    to catch shoplifters and deter other crimes, not configure the
    machines.

    Guest, Jul 20, 2011

  3. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Google the phrase "apparent authority."

    PeterN, Jul 20, 2011
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    does not apply.

    Guest, Jul 20, 2011
  5. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    You then have full knowledge of all the facts, together with both sides
    of the issue.
    Yup! I'm sure you do.

    PeterN, Jul 21, 2011
  6. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i don't need 'all the facts', only that the rent-a-cop has no authority
    on what software is installed on macs in an apple store. he is not an
    apple employee. he's there to prevent theft and other crimes. he
    probably doesn't even know much about computers.

    Guest, Jul 21, 2011
  7. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    then do as I suggested. Or, are you afraid you might not see the answer
    that you like. You just might learn the difference between actual
    authority and apparent authority.

    PeterN, Jul 21, 2011
  8. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Hey...I'm trying to get him to understand the difference between an
    actual market survey and an apparent market survey done when the seat
    belt light is off and the aisle isn't blocked by the beverage cart.
    Don't distract him with facts.

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2011
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yet another straw man, from the person who doesn't use atms and has to
    actually use a bank teller like grandma did. meanwhile, in the real
    world, people are advancing technology, which includes all sorts of new
    products. and again, it is not just airplanes. it's everywhere.

    Guest, Jul 21, 2011
  10. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Yes, Grandma (my wife is one) and I don't use ATMs. The reason one
    uses advanced technology is to do something better or to be able to do
    something more conveniently. There are no such advantages to us to
    use an ATM.

    Our banks are conveniently located with branches near where have other
    errands. There is seldom more than one or two customers ahead of us
    in line inside the bank. Both branches we use have ATMs outside the
    building. Sometimes I go in the bank, do my business, and leave and
    see a person who had been waiting to use the ATM still there.

    I usually take out $150 in cash at a time. That gives me enough cash
    so I don't have to go the bank very frequently. If my wife needs
    cash, she tells me and I add it to the amount I take out. We have a
    small stash of cash in the house in the safe for emergencies.

    I don't have a problem embracing new technology, but there has to be a
    reason to do so. There has to be some benefit.

    If I was a person who spent long hours wandering around airports
    delusionally thinking I was on a market research project, and wasn't
    able to get to my bank, I might use an ATM to get enough cash to buy a
    cup of Starbucks coffee so I could sit down and check-off the brands
    of laptops spotted.

    Besides, the bank has a basket of peppermint candy in the lobby. I've
    never seen an ATM like that.

    tony cooper, Jul 21, 2011
  11. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Last time I looked, the inside was air conditioned, while the ATM
    outside wasn't. Or, have they now air conditioned the outside?

    PeterN, Jul 22, 2011
  12. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Sorry. I lost my head.

    PeterN, Jul 22, 2011
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    maybe for you there aren't but the rest of the world sees an advantage
    with atms as well as point of sale terminals at stores. some people get
    cash back that way too.
    meaningless. you don't know how many transactions the person was doing
    so you can't make any conclusions because they're still there.
    how do you pay for groceries, gas, going out to eat, movies, etc? if
    you say credit/debit card, you're a hypocrite.
    there is a benefit. deposit by phone allows people to make a deposit
    without needing to drive anywhere (saving gas and time and polluting
    less too). atms let you get cash any time, day or night, not just
    during banking hours. atms also let you do currency conversions while
    traveling, and often at the best rates.

    Guest, Jul 22, 2011
  14. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    All the more reason to go inside. ATMs, though, are located in air
    conditioned places. In supermarkets, for example, but you have to pay
    for the peppermints there.

    tony cooper, Jul 22, 2011
  15. RichA

    tony cooper Guest

    Isn't that what this is about? I made no statement that even implied
    that there's no need for ATMs. All I've said is that I don't use
    them, and you pounced on it.
    Credit card when I don't want use cash. What is hypocritical about
    that? (Don't have a debit card, either.)
    You truly are thick. I've said that I don't use ATMs and you somehow
    arrived at the conclusion that this means that I don't see the
    benefits to others.

    Why are you under the impression that someone who doesn't use a
    particular form of technology is against that form of technology?
    Doesn't it occur to you that people can understand and appreciate the
    benefits of something but have no interest in using it themselves?

    Can't you read that "I don't have a problem with..." and "There has to
    be a benefit" and understand that it means "a benefit to me"?

    Using a credit card has a benefit to me. A banking phone app or an
    ATM doesn't. That's pretty simple and hardly hypocritical.

    tony cooper, Jul 22, 2011
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's a modern convenience, and is basically the same as an atm.

    Guest, Jul 22, 2011
  17. RichA

    John A. Guest

    And, often enough, for the use of the ATM.

    John A., Jul 22, 2011
  18. RichA

    John A. Guest

    I've had similar experiences when parking and going inside a fast-food
    joint instead of sitting in the drive-through line.

    John A., Jul 22, 2011
  19. Credit cards date back over 50 years; ATMs are relatively new.

    While both are convenient to use, they are not "basically" the same,
    other than both are plastic cards with embedded encoding.

    John McWilliams, Jul 22, 2011
  20. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    Fast food is neither. The places are best used for emergency bathrooms
    when traveling.

    PeterN, Jul 22, 2011