    seen in my laptop monitor? My eye sight is not very good and I use
    trifocal lenses. So I am not very sure. What is your opinion? With
    thanks in anticipation.

    zxcvar, Jul 3, 2004

  2. I've never seen any UV filter cause a visible change in
    sharpness on any type of camera.

    dave

    Bay Area Dave, Jul 3, 2004

  3. zxcvar

    Mark M Guest

    It shouldn't darken it NEARLY enough to show on your laptop screen.

    To test, shoot in manual exposure, and don't do any processing.
    It should be so close that you won't see a difference.

    As to sharpness...
    I doubt very much that your camera's resolution is high enough to register
    much difference at all, unless you've got a very
    dirty/oily/dust-covered/warped filter.

    Mark M, Jul 3, 2004
  4. Yes and yes. However no UV filter I have ever seen darkens the image
    enough to measure and few reduce sharpness enough to notice. In critical
    work with a very good lens, sharpness may be compromised enough to notice.
    The best UV filters will show very little reduction even under the most
    critical situations.

    You did not ask about the biggest problem. Filters often cause flare
    that is quite noticeable. This is due to two reasons. All but the better
    filters are not as well coated to reduce flare and even the best filter with
    the best coatings can cause flare because they are located in a position
    where they are not protected but even the minimal lens shade that most
    lenses have built in. Flare is often not noticed for what it is and many
    images suffer from it with the photographer never knowing.

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 3, 2004
  5. zxcvar

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!
    Without judging what your speciffic filter does in combination with
    your lens/camera:

    * The exposure should be totally independent, since the camera will
    (well, most models will ;-)) ) measure the exposure through this filter
    and thus compensate for any possible loss in light intensity.

    * Every piece of glass you do not absolutely need between your
    film/sensor and the subject makes at for inferiour sharpness and
    contrast. Don't use a filter that does not produce a desired effect on
    your image. Especally: Modern lesses do not scratch easily, you don't
    need a "transparent lens cap".

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Jul 3, 2004
  6. zxcvar

    YoYo Guest

    Yes, UV filters can reduce sharpness on digital cameras.

    Try It! one photo with (on tripod) one without and see the diffrence.

    YoYo, Jul 3, 2004
  7. zxcvar

    Tom Scales Guest

    I agree. I used to be a believer until I stopped using them!

    As mentioned in another post, any piece of glass. Cheap filters are, well,
    cheap, but even good filters have an effect.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 3, 2004