    you must have a very old version of MS Works as my copy has a full version
    of MS Word as part of MS Works suite or I presumed it was a full version. I
    use an OEM version of MS Office which I bought at a computer fair.

    Bryan, Oct 14, 2007

  2. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    I was referring to the (free) wordprocessor
    included in Microsoft Works, which sucks.
    And yes, Works does include MSWORD but only
    a "60 day free trial version"... if you want to use it for
    more than 60 days you have to pay additional $$$.
    Apparently you've never fired it up or you would
    have quickly discovered that!

    I finally downloaded OpenOffice for free.

    Writabook, Oct 14, 2007

  3. i'm 90% sure MS Word can come separately. I used to have an old MS
    Word CD. When it does it has its own license key you enter.

    If you are really paranoid, you could ask the seller. But if he
    responds, then he'll tell you it comes with a license key. If he
    doesn't respond, then maybe it's some illegal copy , but it'd still
    come with a license key! (though that license key may be being used by
    other people too!)

    You can use Wordpad if you want. That's built into windows. But MS
    Word is alot better.

    jameshanley39, Oct 14, 2007
  4. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Na... that's why they're selling it for $20...
    because it doesn't have a license key
    and you can't use it so its worthless.

    Na... Word pad won't hold more than a few pages.
    and the publisher requires a WORD copy.

    I may write the book in a the free Works
    wordprocessor (.wps files) then save them
    in .doc files. The when I get the book finished
    I'll activate the "free 60 day trial" version of
    WORD 2003 that came on my computer
    and format the book in WORD before sending
    it to the publisher.

    Writabook, Oct 14, 2007
  5. Writabook

    Neil Green Guest

    So use Openoffice and save in MS Word format for
    submission to your publisher.
    Either that or buy MS Word.
    Or bittorrent.

    Neil Green, Oct 14, 2007
  6. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Na.... I installed OpenOffice and tried saving
    in MS-WORD format. Turns out the converter
    wipes out any complicated formatting.... chapter
    headings for instance.
    I guess I'm stuck writing the book
    using the sucky MS-Works wordprocessor
    that came with my new computer.
    Then what I'll do when I've completed
    the book is activate the "free 60 day trial"
    version of MS-Office which came with the
    computer, unpack WORD 2003, dump
    the book in that and format the book.... then
    upload the book to the publisher in Word.

    More than one way to skin a cat, Writabook

    PS: Someone told me this version of
    Word 2000 comes with a COA and is legit
    for $19:
    http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/miwo20fuoem.html
    Do you believe it?
    He says it's a 32 bit program just like 2003, but I'll bet
    it won't run on my WIN XP since its 7 years old.
    What do you think?
    Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 14, 2007
  7. Writabook

    Paul Guest

    Well, it was worth a shot.

    Can MSWorks save to RTF format ? Did you try to use
    different formats, to see if the formatting preservation
    is better in any of them ? I used to use RTF (Rich Text Format)
    for moving from Microsoft to a non-Microsoft word processor,
    but the translation was never perfect. And maybe MSWorks
    doesn't have that option.

    I looked up DirtCheapSoftware on ResellersRatings, and
    you can read some of the reviews yourself.

    http://www.resellerratings.com/store/DirtCheapSoftware

    I expect the software would work. And for $19 plus shipping,
    how could you go wrong ?

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 14, 2007
  8. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Yes, it can save/open .wps .doc .rtf
    I get the impression that as long as you
    move from one MS application to another
    there is no problem, but if you try to move
    from MS to OpenOffice there are "converter
    losses". It screws up images for instance.
    That's why I'm going to write the book in
    MSWorks.... because I know it will open
    up ok in MS Word when I go to format it
    at the end by unpacking my "free 60 day trial"
    version of Word 2003 that is on this computer..
    I think the bottom line is that YES you can buy
    a stand alone MS-WORD for $25 but one
    of two things will happen:

    1. When you install it, it will tell you
    to send MS another $90 by online
    credit card for the license key.

    or:

    2. It will simply fail to install/activate
    because there is no license key
    available.

    Not to worry..... I get 60 days free WORD 2003
    with this (3 year old) computer I bought since I haven't
    activated the 60 day free trial version of MS-Office that
    came with it yet.
    60 days is plenty of time to tweak the formatting
    of the book once its written, no matter what goes
    wrong... even if I have to save the thing as a .txt file
    and reload the illustration files all over again.
    Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 14, 2007
  9. Writabook

    Neil Green Guest

    Pick up a cheap copy of Office 97 with license on
    Ebay, it'll do everything you want and more.

    Neil Green, Oct 14, 2007
  10. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    I'll look into it... but I only need WORD,
    not the whole OFFICE.
    Thanx, Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 14, 2007
  11. Writabook