DOES MS-WORD ONLY COST $25 ?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Writabook, Oct 13, 2007.

  1. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    I have a 3 year old Compaq computer running Windows XP.
    3 GB processor, 512 memory, 160 GB HD.

    I'm writing a book about Golf and I need MS-WORD but
    I don't need MS-OFFICE (which costs $300)

    Microsoft sells a "stand alone" single CD disc copy of
    MS-WORD. This vendor is selling it for $25 (new in
    the box):
    http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_-_MS_Word_2003_-_Media/059-04544/partinfo-id-161427.html

    If I buy this and simply load it into my CD drive, can I write my
    book about Golf using it?

    Or is the bad news that it WON'T RUN unless you are
    running the $300 copy of MS-OFFICE also ??

    Is $25 for MS-WORD too good to be true, or is there
    a catch...... ??

    Thanks in advance, Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007

  2. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Oops, the above is the Norwegian version, here is the English
    version for the same price:
    http://www.etech4sale.com/Microsoft_Word_For_Windows_Standard/059-04386/partinfo-id-205722.html
    this one says "no license" on it, does that mean it's illegal and
    Windows probably won't allow it to run?
    Desperately, Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007

  3. Writabook

    Paul Guest

    Have you tried Openoffice ? It contains a lot of the same kinds
    of tools as Microsoft Office, but is free. The Windows version is
    a total of 119MB download.

    http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
    http://download.openoffice.org/2.3.0/index.html?focus=download

    You can see a couple sample screenshots of the "Writer" tool here.

    http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/winter2006/openoffice.htm

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 13, 2007
  4. Writabook

    Baron Guest

    Just go to "www.openoffice.org" and download a full featured program
    for free !

    Baron, Oct 13, 2007
  5. Writabook

    Neil Green Guest

    Neil Green, Oct 13, 2007
  6. Writabook

    Paul Guest

    It is possible to buy a Windows CD, then obtain a license from Microsoft
    as a separate $$$ step. The CD you are buying, just has the software
    on it, but not the license. Things like volume licensing, separate
    the media from the license keys. That is why you see things like
    that for sale. The implication is not "something for nothing" -
    it just means you still have an expensive $$$ step to complete
    the legal install of the software. Without a license key from
    Microsoft, that CD is legally useless.

    The reason OpenOffice is suggested, is it sounds like you want a
    bargain, and what better than a free tool, for the cost of
    the time to download it ?

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 13, 2007
  7. Writabook

    Paul Guest

    That should have been an "Office CD".

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 13, 2007
  8. Writabook

    Bryan Guest

    if you have to have MS Word then it is included in MS Works suite which is
    considerably cheaper than MS Office and should be available on Ebay etc even
    cheaper.

    Bryan, Oct 13, 2007
  9. Writabook

    Pen Guest

    If you really want MS Word then your best deal is Word 2000 for $20
    here; it comes with a COA. This is legit, but Open Office is still the
    best deal.
    http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/miwo20fuoem.html

    Pen, Oct 13, 2007
  10. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    I have to upload this book to a "print on demand" publisher and
    they specify MS-WORD ONLY format, so I can't use
    OpenOffice!
    What is a COA? Does that mean it's licensed?
    Why is WORD 2000 a better idea than the unlicensed WORD 03?
    Will WORD 2000 work ok on my computer? Isn't that a 16-bit
    version rather than a 32-bit version like WORD 03 ?

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007
  11. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Yes, my computer came with a free 60 day trial version of Microsoft
    Office
    including WORD 2003. 60 days would be long enough for me to format
    the book (free), which is what I will do if I can't get a cheap copy of WORD
    on a single disk that will run.
    Meanwhile I'm writing the book on microsoft WORKS which came
    free with the computer, but it sucks... you can't even put page numbers
    in the book with it, and no headers are possible... it's not good enough
    and the publisher won't accept Works documents... I've got to
    get a cheap copy of WORD. They won't accept OpenOffice either.

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007
  12. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    "legally useless"... what does that mean?.... I'm not worried about
    legalities. Will it work... that is the only question I have....
    can I write my book on it?

    No go... the publisher has specified WORD ONLY for submission
    of the book..... I CAN"T use OpenOffice.... he won't accept it,
    same for Works.... no go.

    Someone suggested OEM WORD 2000 FOR $19 at this website:
    http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com:80/miwo20fuoem.html
    he says this one comes with a COA (whatever that is) and it is legit...
    whaddau think about this option?

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007
  13. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    ARE YOU SURE NEIL!!! HOW SURE ARE YOU??
    Isn't it going to ask me for a "liscense key" or something
    when I install it? Without the license key it won't work will it?
    My print on demand publisher specifies WORD ONLY
    for book publication, I CAN'T use OpenOffice.
    Desperate, Writabook

    Writabook, Oct 13, 2007
  14. Writabook

    Baron Guest

    What a load of tosh. OpenOffice happily reads and write M$ formats.

    Baron, Oct 13, 2007
  15. Writabook

    Baron Guest

    Still a load of tosh.

    Baron, Oct 13, 2007
  16. Writabook

    JTJersey Guest

    OpenOffice can save any document you create in the MS Word format, if
    that's what you want to do. MS Word will then read that document as if
    it were created with MS Word itself. As an aside, MS Word is now capable
    of reading and saving in the OpenOffice format as well.

    JTJersey, Oct 13, 2007
  17. Writabook

    Pen Guest

    No it's 32 bit like 97, 2003,2007. COA is *certificate of authenticity*,
    which is what you have to enter to validate the software. However, open
    office will work just fine and can save in word format and will work
    just fine. You're confusing yourself with the format of the file you
    upload versus the program used to generate the file. However, if you
    still insist on using Word do NOT buy the 2003 version as it is
    unlicensed and will cost you full price to license it.

    Pen, Oct 13, 2007
  18. Writabook

    Baron Guest

    Thats a useful bit of info. When did that happen ?

    Baron, Oct 13, 2007
  19. Writabook

    Paul Guest

    <<snip>>

    How long would it take you to test OpenOffice ? If you don't like it,
    you'll be able to figure it out very quickly. Save a test document
    from OpenOffice, then open it with your other tools, to check
    for compatibility. Send a test doc to your publisher, and see if
    they can read it, or print a proof for inspection. The file format
    is all that matters, not the tool that creates it. If it passes
    the publisher's "smell test", then you're in business.

    What is the book worth to you ? Enough to justify the
    price of a real copy of Microsoft Word ? If you visit your
    local computer store, and check the shelves, you'll see
    prices for the real thing, complete with license key and
    certificate of authenticity.

    Familiarity and the speed you can work at, are important considerations.
    The less thinking you have to do, about the tool, the more productive
    you can be. Simply get the best tool for the job, and move on. I have
    a couple tools I could use here, and due to being less familiar with
    MSWord (I have a copy, bought at full price), I'd actually use an alternate.
    Simply because, with the alternate, I can type and work, without cursing
    at the tool all the time.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 13, 2007
  20. Writabook

    Writabook Guest

    Ok, ok..... you've convinced me. I now
    realize you can't get a copy of WORD
    for $20 without stealing it from Bill Gates,
    which I have no compunctions against
    doing, but it looks like you'd have to
    hack a phoney registration number to
    get it to work which is more than I'm
    willing to do.
    So, following everybodies advice I
    downloaded and installed OpenOffice.
    I loaded the first 10 pp of the book into
    it and saved it as a XP-Word (.doc) and then
    opened it up again in Writer and it came
    thru ok. Then I opened up the same .doc
    file in MS Works and found the .jpg
    images degraded. Presumably it will open
    up ok in Word. But gliches CAN
    happen.
    So here's my plan:

    1. I'll write the book in OpenOffice (Writer)
    2. I'll save it in .doc format.
    3. Periodically I'll go to Kinkos and open
    up the .doc file in Word to make
    sure Writer is saving it ok.
    4. Next Spring when the book is finished
    I'll activate my "60 day free trial" version
    of MS OFFICE which came with my
    computer and unpack WORD 2003
    5. I'll then dump the 300 pp (jpg illustrated)
    book into Word 03 and fix any converter
    glitches. 60 days is plenty of time!
    5. Finally, I'll upload the book in WORD to the
    POD (print on demand) publisher.
    6. Whew... home free!

    It looks like OpenOffice/Writer will do
    the trick for me. Thanks for steering me
    in the right direction. I'd look pretty
    comical talking to the police.

    Writabook

    PS: The book isn't about Golf, its about
    God and I usually don't get a lot of
    cooperation when I tell people that.
    I can barely push a broom much
    less swing a golf club.