Does Moz/xe send a keep alive ping?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005.

  1. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    When and only when Mozilla is active every 15 seconds my computer pings
    the following-

    TCP:127.0.0.1:xxxx
    which is - This block is assigned for use as the Internet host
    loopback address. A datagram sent by a higher level protocol to an
    address anywhere within this block should loop back inside the host.
    This is ordinarily implemented using only 127.0.0.1/32 for loopback,
    but no addresses within this block should ever appear on any network
    anywhere

    Which seems to indicate that either Moz or windows XE is pinging to
    continue to check my IP address and keep the line open. My guess is
    windows xp and its network protocol.

    Which is it and what process is responsible? Is it necessary this often?

    I did not notice it with win 98se, but that does not mean it was not
    going on.

    BTW- tested the computer with shields up and all stealth. Plus ran
    spybot, adaware, asquared and AVG with no hits. Running behind a router
    and zonealarm.

    GA

    Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005

  2. Gordon Abbot

    Gordon Abbot Guest

    It does not do this when in MSIE, only Mozilla.

    Gordon Abbot, Mar 18, 2005

  3. Gordon Abbot

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen, Mar 18, 2005