    I have been told that the print head has a chip that keeps track of each
    cartridge, so when you refill it the computer will still think that it is
    empty. Is that correct? thanks

    lbbs, Dec 1, 2003

  2. There is no chip on the cartridge. Instead, each cartridge has a unique
    ID code. Your printer remembers the current and previous cartridge. When
    it sees a new code, it assumes it's a full cartridge, and starts keeping
    track of ink used, subtracting it from the full value over time. The
    previous-previous cartridge is deleted, and the old current becomes the
    new previous. If you swap between two cartridges, it will simply ping-pong
    back and forth.

    To reset the ink for a given cartridge, you either need to cycle through
    3 cartridges, or use some routines involving taping over contacts to alter
    the ID to emulate rotating through 3 cartridges.

    Andrew Rossmann, Dec 1, 2003

  3. lbbs

    Mike Guest

    I have an old 932c and I heard about the ID code in the factory cartridges.I
    was told to keep 3 cartridges if I wanted to refill and to rotate through
    them. I believe there is a sequence of buttons to push on the printer that
    will reset the printers memory and make this unnecessary. (I had bad luck
    refilling and haven't tried since.)

    Mike, Dec 2, 2003
  4. lbbs

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Dec 2, 2003
  5. lbbs

    Rosco Guest

    pcbutts1 wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    Didn't read the instructions when I tried to fill cartirdges on an old
    printer, pretty much ruined the clothes I was wearing, my carpet and
    the printer(coated it with ink). Now I have a Lexmark X85 all in one.
    When you take a cartridge out and replace it with either the same or a
    new one it asks you is it the same cartridge or new cartridge just
    incase you did fill it up.

    Rosco, Dec 2, 2003
  6. lbbs

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Dec 3, 2003
  7. lbbs

    Rosco Guest

    yep, there's alot and i have yet to find anything that can clean it up.

    Rosco, Dec 4, 2003
  8. lbbs

    Model Flyer Guest

    That's a common problem when one doesn't read the instructions, I
    refill often and don't have ink all over the place.
    --
    ---
    Cheers,

    Model Flyer, Dec 8, 2003