    bagal

    ps - ok I admit it is merely an arrangement of letters but in a
    technological sense, or a nomenclature sense it is important innit?

    bagal, May 24, 2004

  2. Yes...but it will cost ya! Check out dpreview.com for evaluations of all the
    cameras. Specifically...if you want SLR with your D...check out Nikon,
    Canon, Kodak, Olympus, Fuji, and ...what is that crappy one....oh....it is
    escaping me...it's really not a good one....shouldn't be considered at
    all....ummm.....oh...Sigma.

    Gene Palmiter, May 24, 2004

  3. Now Bagal, this was so strange that it get a 7 on the
    1-10 scale of strangeness. I don't think I understand what
    you are trying to say at all :)

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, May 24, 2004
  4. bagal

    bagal Guest

    ok - please be patient with me and I will try.

    Single lens reflex means that there is one lens unit separated from light
    sensitive film media by a reflex mirror

    But digital cameras have many pixel based sensors and each of the pixel
    senors (on some constructions) has a lens.

    So, for example, a 4Mp sensor has 4Mp lenses too?

    Sorry if this is taking your strangeness meter to extreme or new territory
    but I thought it was a good observation n'est pas?

    bagal

    bagal, May 24, 2004
  5. Yes, Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras exist and are the same concept as a
    Film Single Lens Reflex camera, with an image sensor in place of a film
    plane.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, May 24, 2004
  6. bagal

    bagal Guest

    bagal, May 24, 2004
  7. bagal

    bagal Guest

    Yes, I know that Howard - forum and reviews are full of 'em

    The point I am not making too successfully is that the sensor has lenses too

    <ok I'll get my coat ...>

    bagal, May 24, 2004
  8. bagal

    paleryder Guest

    Are you referring to the anti-aliasing filter?

    paleryder, May 24, 2004
  9. OK - now I get it.

    I think you make life too complicated :)

    The sensor has many lenses - yes - but the camera design is still
    an SLR, and being digital it is a DSLR.

    IMHO - of course.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, May 24, 2004
  10. bagal

    bagal Guest

    something I read somewhere about making sure light goes down the correct
    pixel-well and to help avoid cross-over with light entering one pixel-well,
    going thru to a neighboring pixel-well and being counted in the sensor

    Perhaps I should have preseded this topic with an SQ alert?

    bagal

    SQ = silly question :)

    bagal, May 24, 2004
  11. bagal

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Have you been living in a cave :)

    http://www.canoneos.com/

    Jim Townsend, May 24, 2004
  12. bagal

    bagal Guest

    next best thing perhaps

    a tent up in the mountains :)

    bagal

    bagal, May 24, 2004
  13. bagal

    E. Magnuson Guest

    Not all sensors have microlenses. The sensor in the Kodak 14n/SLRn/SLRc
    doesn't (nor most older Kodak's). Neither does the sensor in the SD9.

    E. Magnuson, May 24, 2004
  14. bagal

    Patrick L. Guest

    Don't rock the boat, I mean, Olympus tried, and failed, to off ZLR on us,
    but it didn't take.

    Patrick

    Patrick L., May 25, 2004
  15. bagal

    Mark B. Guest

    An SLR is still an SLR regardless of whether the medium is film or
    electronic sensor. Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Contax, and Sigma all make digital
    SLRs with interchangeable lenses.
    Not sure what the point of calling it DSRL is.

    Mark

    Mark B., May 25, 2004
  16. bagal

    Charlie Self Guest

    Mark B notes:
    For a hook on the trolling line.

    Charlie Self
    "Bore, n.: A person who talks when you wish him to listen." Ambrose Bierce, The
    Devil's Dictionary

    Charlie Self, May 25, 2004
  17. bagal

    Skip M Guest

    Well, ZLR, in some circles, has become an accepted term for an SLR with a
    non removable zoom lens, as opposed to the interchangeable lenses of an SLR,
    whether digital or not.

    Skip M, May 25, 2004
  18. bagal

    stan Guest

    Huh? Maybe I am missing something, but what are you talking about?

    You can buy a Digital Single Lens Reflect camera if you want. Nikon,
    Canon, Kodak, and Sigma make them.

    stan, May 25, 2004
  19. bagal

    stan Guest

    Not in the reality I live in. My DSLR has one lens, same as a
    film SLR. Using your "logic" you might as well liken pixels
    to photons, in which case a film SLR would have many lenses too.

    stan, May 25, 2004
  20. bagal

    stan Guest

    No it doesn't. The sensor is a sensor. The only difference is in a film
    camera, the sensor is film and in a digital camera, the sensor is a piece
    of silicon. I fail to see any rationale for your line of thinking. How
    does your line of thinking improve on the quality of photographs you can
    shoot with a camera (film or digital)?

    stan, May 25, 2004