  1. netsurf

    netsurf Guest

    I'm thinking about getting Cisco 1721 for CCNA and possible CCNP study. Cisco on-line document seem to say Cisco 1721 support OSPF only. Is it true?If it does only OSPF, then it wouldn't be a good choice for CCNA study, right? Because I need to practice more things such as RIP or EIGRP.

    netsurf, Jul 22, 2012

  2. netsurf

    Rob Guest

    A 1721 does support RIP or EIGRP.
    Of course it isn't something you want to buy today, but that is a
    different matter.

    (it is sloooooow)

    Rob, Jul 22, 2012

  3. netsurf

    grinch Guest

    I agree about speed it is also EOL . I personally would buy 2600 series
    router for a Cisco lab they have more ports to fit various WIC cards in.

    In my lab I have three 2600 series routers each has 2 FastEthernets and
    at least one wic-1t (X21) the middle router has 2.

    I also have 2 2950 switches , an one more as the management lan switch.
    Each device has a 192.168.1.0/24 address for remote management. That way
    I don’t need to go out to my garage when I mess up, as it is cold in
    there in the winter.

    My advice would be go to fleabay and get the person selling the router
    to configure bgp ospf eigrp and rip ,and also create a sub interface on
    one of the 2 fastethernet ports, then send you the resulting config and
    the output of a sh ver command.

    Any router that cant manage to do this is a a waste of money even if it
    may get you through your ccna you will need to buy again for CC.X.P exams

    grinch, Jul 22, 2012