    and make them match the new sale price for this week?

    Anyone have luck with that?
    Jeff

    Jeffman316, Aug 1, 2004

  2. Jeffman316

    Biz Guest

    Thats not price-matching, you're thinking of a price guarantee, where if you
    find it cheaper within so many days you are eligible to get that sale price.
    Price matching is when you go in and say store X has this at price Y, will
    you sell it to me at price Y?

    Biz, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Jeffman316

    Morgan Guest

    I know Fry's Electronics will refund you the difference if they run the item
    you bought on sale within 30 days of your purchase. I bought a DVD there
    once that they ran for $8 cheaper two days later, so I brought in my receipt
    and they gave me the difference--no questions asked, and I was in and out
    within minutes (which is a friggin' miracle for Fry's). Go to Best Buy with
    your receipt and ask, if Fry's does it Best Buy should.

    Morgan

    Morgan, Aug 1, 2004
  4. Jeffman316

    Matt Woodard Guest

    Yes - they will do it . I bought the Elvis comeback special when it
    came out - then the next week they had it on sale $15 cheaper. There
    was no issue.

    Matt Woodard, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Circuit City does this as well.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Aug 2, 2004
  6. Jeffman316

    John Sayers Guest

    I work at a Borders, and when people try and return things in this manner
    they instantly considered cheapskates/pains in the ass/undesirable
    customers/assholes. We usually do the return and give the customer back his
    few bucks, but just to keep the line moving and avoid embarrassing the rest
    of the customers in line. Then we talk about the jerk for the rest of the
    day - "could you believe the doo-dads on that guy?...."

    John Sayers, Aug 3, 2004
  7. Jeffman316

    Mike Kohary Guest

    ....all the while not realizing that it's you and your co-workers who
    are the jerks, I'm sure. I'll remember this the next time I'm in a
    Borders store. Did you not realize that by using their name and
    identifying yourself as an employee, you represent them? Perhaps I
    should forward your message along to company headquarters - think your
    management will approve?

    There is nothing wrong with the practice of sales price matching,
    which nearly every major retail chain *offers*, and there's certainly
    nothing "cheap" about saving a few hard-earned dollars whenever
    possible.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Aug 3, 2004
  8. Jeffman316

    JWB Guest

    Very true.

    I love these young retail guys who all think they are like Randal from
    "Clerks". What register-boy doesn't realize is he's a name-tag wearing
    schlep who's probably making a single-digit per hour salary to serve me.

    Yea, bag that for me, willya?

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  9. Why don't you go work in retail for six months if you are that
    good? I wonder if you'll say that afterwards.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 3, 2004
  10. Jeffman316

    JWB Guest

    I did. Worked ten years in two different places. Went from clerk to store
    manager to corporate buyer. Know the biz inside out. And belittling the
    customers and treating them like the enemy is *not* how you do it
    successfully. Some customers are unreasonable - that is true. But they are
    easily dealt with.

    Certainly you would agree that a customer coming in for a price-match does
    not deserve the (silent) scorn the Borders employee gave him.

    In my retail experiences, I have seen rude, lazy salespeople outnumber rude
    customers ten-fold.

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  11. True. I'll give you respect, I just get annoyed when I hear people go
    on about how they got "crappy" service when the person in question
    in fact went out of their way to help them. Guess my response was
    out of anger and thought you were one of those types. Sorry bout
    that.
    Unless the said customer is being a complete ass about it then yeah
    the person doesn't deserve that kind of treatment.
    Sadly I'll disagree with you on that. I seem to get my fair share
    of rude people on a daily basis. But it all depends on what kind
    of retail you work in I guess.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 3, 2004
  12. Jeffman316

    JWB Guest

    I understand - I was kinda crass with the nametag comment (which was really
    meant for the one poster and his ilk) - even 50k+ a year managers usually
    wear nametags in retail.

    To be honest, I also don't like it when people post here and call clerks
    "best buy drones" and say how unintelligent they are or whatnot - the clerk
    is probably a college kid working for beer and laundry money. Unless I'm in
    a specialty store (like a really high-end audio store or my local specialty
    garden center where they actually *sell* product) I never expect a retail
    clerk to do anything more than read the box if I ask a question. I think
    it's ignorant of posters here to expect some kid working for $8 an hour to
    really care about widescreen vs pan and scan. Did these posters forget what
    it was like to be 18 and not giving a shit about anything except scoring
    with the girl at register 3 later that evening?
    That is true.

    JWB, Aug 3, 2004
  13. Jeffman316

    Eric R. Guest

    No kidding. Every time I go shopping, it seems like I end up in line
    behind one of these pricks. They're not just inconveniencing the store
    and the employees, they're also inconveniencing the other non-prick
    customers.
    Yeah, let store XYZ take the hit.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 3, 2004
  14. Jeffman316

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Well I routinely take advantage of it and have so far accumulated 85
    dollars worth of best buy coupons from their rewards program. That
    equates to somewhere between a thousand and two thousand dollars worth
    of retail purchases. If you were best buy management and alienated
    customers like me then you would probably go out of business.

    dick
    -- oh, and for the most part I have been treated very well by Best Buy
    customer service and sales people.

    Dick Sidbury, Aug 3, 2004
  15. Very true, now that I get who you intended it for.
    Personally I laugh at some of the ignorance I see in this newsgroup
    towards retail employees. Some folks around here act like as if
    every retail employee should know DVD inside and out, and read
    sites like The Digital Bits on a daily basis. But hey, I shouldn't speak
    since sadly I do that myself. (lol)
    You nailed it right there. I work for CC myself and the idea that CC
    has is that they group certain areas of the store together that an
    employee is supposed to be knowledgeable in. For instance Home
    Audio and TVs is one, Computers and Digital Imaging/Wireless
    is another, and Portable Electronics/Music & Movies. That sounds
    simple but keep in mind how vast the amount of products CC has,
    especially in an area like Portable Electronics (that covers game systems,
    boomboxes, cordless phones, and for some odd reason some PC items
    like hard drives is in that area)

    I'll admit that its hard sometimes to know each and every single product
    that is carried. I know the basics of what products do for the most part,
    I'll be honest there. But some customers expect me to know stuff like
    "how far will the phone's reception go." Stuff like that varies on the area
    a person lives in, interferance from other items, etc. I'm not throwing a
    copout to a customer when I tell them that, but some customers really
    think I am. :(
    If they even worked in a retail enviroment at all. I do understand how
    frustrating it is however, to get to a store only to find out a store didn't
    get the Widescreen version of, say, "Whole Ten Years."

    Anyways, I think I've offended enough people with this post so I'll
    stop here before I offend a few more. ;-)

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 4, 2004
  16. Jeffman316

    Smaug69 Guest

    (Eric R.) wrote in message
    It's store policy to price guarantee. So it's their own fault if they
    lose money this way.

    Smaug69

    Smaug69, Aug 4, 2004
  17. Best Buy has a 30 day price guarantee. the customer service rep is not going to
    know that it was a street date item. it wouldnt matter anyway.

    SpiderManHouston, Aug 5, 2004
  18. Jeffman316

    canlove Guest

    Wow this thread ended up going down hill didn't it? From such a simple
    question. I except it from Brian the demolation Jerk boy. But from the
    adults. Really. Peace.

    canlove, Aug 6, 2004
  19. Coming from a WebTVer I am not surprised to see you flaming me
    when you don't even know me.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Aug 6, 2004
  20. Jeffman316

    Eric R. Guest

    If they'll agree to file for bankruptcy and publically execute every
    person involved (especially Dick Sharp and that "Divx Guy" from the
    commercials), then I'll *consider* forgiving them.
    No, because Disney didn't try to COMPETE with DVD. They were only
    going to release titles that were already out on DVD, not try to lock
    up exclusives like divx did.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Aug 6, 2004