    Just wondered out of interest.

    Thanks

    Mikey

    Mikey, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Mikey

    whosbest54 Guest

    whosbest54, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Mikey

    whosbest54 Guest

    Upon further reading, the site isn't clear if that title was only available
    in Japan. It may have been and the IMAX titles were the first in the U.S.
    It doesn't say what the first title in the U.K. was. The text reads as
    follows:

    "The first DVD players and discs were available in November 1996 in Japan,
    March 1997 in the United States, 1998 in Europe and in 1999 in Australia.
    The first pressed DVD release was the film Twister in 1996. The film had the
    first test for 2.1 surround sound. The first titles released in the U.S., on
    March 19, 1997, by Lumivision, authored by AIX Entertainment, were IMAX
    adaptations: Africa: The Serengeti, Antarctica: An Adventure of a Different
    Nature, Tropical Rainforest, and Animation Greats."

    whosbest54

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

    http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

    whosbest54, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Mikey

    JoeBloe Guest

    snipped wikitard link

    Not even close. Blade Runner was one of the first. Twister was
    nowhere near that pressing date.

    JoeBloe, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Hard to believe we're coming up on 10 years of DVD. The first title I
    can remember seeing was "In the Line of Fire." It was in the first
    display I remember seeing, in the summer of 1997 and there were several
    other titles but I can't remember what they were. The early days were
    a bit weird, with no standardization as to packaging. I remember
    seeing the Michael Keaton flick "The Paper" in a CD jewel case at
    Camelot Music sometime in 1997 or 1998.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Aug 31, 2006
  6. According to DVDlist..

    Feb 1st 1997 saw "Return of Boogeyman" from Simitar. That was pressed
    in 1996 since it was used as a demo during a 1996 Christmas trade
    show. Also an Imax disc was demonstrated in 1996. Also "Interview
    with the Vampire" was seen in November 1996 according to a newspaper
    article.

    March 2nd Artisan released "Red Heat."

    March 10th MGM released "Poltergeist."

    March 19th Lumivision released 4 discs"Tropical Rainforest, Imax."
    "Africa; the Serengeti," (Imax) "Animaton Greats, NFB of Canada" (a
    disc which I have) and "Antarctica, an adventure of a different
    Nature." (Imax)

    March 25th saw the release by Warner of "Twister," "The Exorcist,"
    "Bonnie and Clyde," "Fugitive," and "Interview with the Vampire"
    (which I've often seen referred to as "The First DVD release" (note
    above) along with "Twister," both are wrong obviously if talking about
    commercial releases.)

    Also March 25th MGM released "Goldeneye." and "Wizard of Oz."

    "Color Purple" came on March 27th, Spielberg had asked for a late-week
    release according to my "laserviews" review.

    "Bladerunner" was released August 22nd 1997, MUCH later.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 31, 2006
  7. Mikey

    ThePunisher Guest

    Get 'your' facts right, idiot.

    ThePunisher, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Darn, could've sworn Scimitar's IMAX "Chronos" was on the list somewhere--
    Or, in a case of "Cheap mom-and-pop companies leaping on a technology
    buzzword" history repeating itself, maybe I'm confusing it with Goldstar
    making "Chronos" semi-officially the first HD-DVD ever made.

    Derek Janssen (mark that bit of trivia down for future reference)

    Derek Janssen, Sep 1, 2006
  9. Mikey

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    Chronos would have been the first HD DVD title, except that they've
    continually delayed it and it still hasn't been released.

    Joshua Zyber, Sep 1, 2006