    Ritz Camera, but wanted to know if anyone knew anything about Quantaray
    filters. I guess the big question really is it worth getting filters????

    Thanks,

    New Guy, Nov 10, 2004

  2. New Guy

    Tony Guest

    They are generic - bought from the source that gives Ritz the best
    price-generally the same crap as Promaster, and a few other garbage brands.
    Order from Adorama and get a coated Hoya filter for the same or less
    money - better yet get a multi-coated Hoya for a little bit more, and you
    will have a lot more filter.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony, Nov 10, 2004

  3. New Guy

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Well, Quantaray is the Ritz house brand. Not sure who makes this one.
    If it it cheap re other brands (i.e., the cheapest) you may want to get
    something better.

    I'd check B&H on line and see what they have bfore buying.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Quantaray is the low-price brand used by Ritz Camera.

    For a UV or skylight filter that is going to stay on the lens, high optical
    quality and multicoating are important; get a Hoya or Nikon multicoated
    filter.

    For a polarizer, multicoating is less important because the filter itself
    absorbs a fair bit of light, and the polarizer is only used some of the
    time. An economy brand might be OK for that.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 10, 2004
  5. New Guy

    Bob Salomon Guest

    Coating is as important on a polarizer as it is on any other filter
    where you want to reduce FLARE. Reducing flare increases contrast and
    color saturation. It has nothing at all to do with absorbing light. That
    is what happens after the light passes through the filter. Coatings work
    to make sure the maximum amount of light striking the filter passes
    through the filter.

    In addition, as coatings are metallic oxides, they are less likely to
    scratch then the glass surface they are depoisited on so they make the
    surface less likely to scratch. And some multi coatings, like the
    Heliopan SH-PMC, also add a layer that will repel moisture and dust from
    the front surface and rear surface of the filter thus helping to keep it
    cleaner.

    Bob Salomon, Nov 10, 2004
  6. I said "less important" because if the filter is absorbent, you aren't
    going to get multiple reflections from the light going back and forth
    repeatedly between the layers.

    I did not say "of no importance." Of course the best manufacturers coat all
    their filters, regardless of absorbency.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 10, 2004
  7. New Guy

    Bob Salomon Guest

    No they don't. Many filters like star, diffusion, fog, Softars, etc.
    can not be coated as that would eliminate the effect that the filter is
    used for. There are uses for controlled flare.

    Other filters like a Kaesmann polarizer can not be properly hard coated
    as the polarizing foil is sealed between the glass layers and edged
    sealed and the heat from the coating process would damage the polarizing
    foil.

    Absorbency has no effect on coating. ND filters are commonly coated and
    they can have much higher filter factors then a polarizer. Again flare
    and density are not related.

    Bob Salomon, Nov 10, 2004