    I have a 693*364 image. It has to be reduced to be no larger than 400
    x 400 pixels at 100 PPI. I read some info. online, but still not sure
    what to do. Could anyone help?

    dingguanyun, Feb 20, 2008

  2. dingguanyun

    John Navas Guest

    WebResizer.com

    John Navas, Feb 20, 2008

  3. dingguanyun

    Ray Fischer Guest

    You'll want to crop and/or resize the image so that it's no bigger
    than 400 by 400 pixels. Any number of programs will do that for you
    including, I believe, the Paint program that comes with Windows and
    Adobe Photoshop Elements.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 20, 2008
  4. Well, that is a different aspect ratio. So you either have to crop and clip
    your image or shrink it further and add those black bars on the top and
    bottom. Either one would technically be correct, your choice.
    This on the other hand it utter nonsense because the PPI density is
    determined by the output/display device and has nothing to do with the image
    properties whatsoever.
    You may want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixels_per_inch for more
    information.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 20, 2008
  5. Crop to a 1:1 aspect ratio, and then any good editor will be able to
    resize to 400 x 400 pixels and either 100 ppi or make a 4 inch by 4
    inch image.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Feb 21, 2008
  6. dingguanyun

    franardone Guest

    You don't have to crop, or add black bars. It has to be no lager than
    400 x 400 which does not mean that it has to be exactly 400 x 400.
    You can preserve the original image ratio by resizing to 400 x 210.
    This can be done on the webresizer.com site as John Navas suggested.

    franardone, Feb 21, 2008
  7. dingguanyun

    dingguanyun Guest

    Thanks, everyone. I use webresizer.com site to resize the original
    image to 400*204, and choose the image quality to be 100. I guess it
    means 100 PPI ?

    But, I have further question. The requirement is "Images selected for
    exhibition must be available in TIFF format at 300 PPI with the
    longest side of the image measuring at least 10.25 inches (or pixel
    dimensions of 3000 x 2300 pixels)."

    Any idea what I should do? seems webresizer won't let me enlarge the
    image to that big. Thanks in advance.

    dingguanyun, Mar 3, 2008
  8. dingguanyun

    Bystander Guest

    What should you do? Forget it, and move on.

    A 693*364 image might look okay on a web page, but it doesn't have
    enough information in it to be printed at any size larger than a
    passport photo. There are programs that claim to allow you to scale
    pictures up -- Genuine Fractals, for example -- but they don't work
    miracles.

    Where did you come by such a tiny picture anyway? My opinion is that you
    should always take your photos at maximum resolution -- you can always
    make them smaller but you can't really make them larger.

    Bystander, Mar 3, 2008
  9. dingguanyun

    dingguanyun Guest

    I created the image using SmratDraw for my research project. It just
    came out in 393*364. But, for the image of research competition in our
    school, they want one copy in 400*400 pixels at 100 PPI and another
    one in TIFF format at 3000 x 2300 pixels 300 PPI

    no way to do it? thanks

    dingguanyun, Mar 7, 2008