    what current owners had to say about the Canon SX10...

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    -=] RiverMan [=-

    scarumcreek, Dec 22, 2008

  2. Stephen Henning wrote:
    []
    Thanks for that report, Steve, most encouraging.

    One minor point is that, like many cameras, the LCD and EVF is "dots", not
    RGB pixels. So each is around 77K RGB pixels.

    Sounds like you will have a lot of fun with that camera - I know how much
    I enjoyed my FZ5.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 22, 2008

  3. scarumcreek

    Dave Cohen Guest

    As far as I can tell (and I haven't done much of this), on my A95 the
    macro mode is bypassed when you use manual focus. I'm not sure what
    macro mode does on a p&s. On a dslr lens I believe it actually moves an
    element. Play with manual focus mode and see what you think.
    Right now, if I had to replace my camera, it would most likely be the
    sx10-is, good luck with yours. I've no interest in getting involved in
    the p&s vs dslr discussion. Different strokes for different folks.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Dec 22, 2008
  4. scarumcreek

    GregS Guest

    I held one in the store. Could't figure out the small LCD screen. Can you use it without
    flipping it out ? Strange crosshatch and other strange stuff on display. Too technical
    for me. How can I go wrong for $230 on a Fuji S2000 ??

    greg

    GregS, Dec 23, 2008
  5. scarumcreek

    GregS Guest

    SD2000HD

    Today $223 at Best Buy order. I looked at images on Imaging Resource and it
    was half decent for the money I think.

    greg

    GregS, Dec 23, 2008
  6. scarumcreek

    GregS Guest

    I just looked again at the images at IR with the side by side comparison shots.
    The Fuji actually lookes better than the SX10 on a number of shots. The Fuji
    has high chromatic distortion on macro. I read these other reports on how
    poor the ISO is and then it does not look too bad to me, better than the Canon
    in some areas. ?

    greg

    GregS, Dec 23, 2008
  7. scarumcreek

    ASAAR Guest

    The difference in image quality is probably very slight. Similar
    sensors, 10mp 1/2.3", but many of Fuji's cameras have reputations
    for good low light performance, so there's a chance that the S2000
    might have a stop or so better high ISO image quality. For video,
    Canon's cameras are usually superior, and the SX10 records audio in
    stereo vs. mono for the S2000. Weight (with batteries installed)
    has the SX10 about 50% heavier than the S2000. Canon's previous
    version, the S5 IS is approximately the same weight as the S2000.
    The SX10 has a wider range of shutter speeds, 15 sec. to 1/3,200
    sec. vs 4 sec. to 1/1,000 sec. for the S2000. DPReview has 8.8m for
    the S2000's flash range vs 5.2m for the SX10. If the SX10's flash
    was twice as powerful it would have a range of 7.4m, and if it was
    four times as powerful the range would extend to 10.4m, so all else
    being equal, the S2000's flash (possibly due to the S2000's ISO
    performance) performs like an SX10 with about three times more
    output from its flash. This type of comparison usually identifies
    cameras that have better sensor performance at higher ISOs. For
    what it's worth, the SX10 goes up to ISO 1,600 and the S2000 up to
    ISO 3,200 at full resolution and ISO 6,400 at 5mp resolution. These
    high ISOs are pretty much for emergency use in cameras such as these
    that have small sensors. If low light performance is important for
    you and you can test the cameras in a store, bring an SD card to
    take pictures at various ISOs for later comparisons at home.

    If you really are able to test the cameras, compare the quickness
    and accuracy of their focusing, particularly in lower light areas of
    the store, and also see how comfortable or clumsy they feel in your
    hands, as well as how clumsy their menu systems are. Many of the
    settings on the SX10 are changed by spinning a ring that surrounds a
    center button while most other cameras have a similar four way (up,
    down, left, right) controller ring also surrounding a central
    button. Some people have no problem with the SX10's rotating
    control ring. Many others feel that Canon's implementation needs to
    be improved, as fine, sensitive control just isn't there. To make
    small changes the ring needs to be spun quickly over a greater
    angular distance than seems reasonable, or nothing will happen.
    Maybe an SX10 II will get it right, but despite this, the SX10 is a
    very nice camera, and some people will prefer it, and others will
    prefer the S2000.

    ASAAR, Dec 23, 2008
  8. scarumcreek

    GregS Guest

    Thanks for giving the info. I thought the SX 10 would be a cool camera.
    I decided on buying a Nikon D40 two months ago, but nothing
    happened, I got money shy. Great ISO performance over these two.
    Good idea to take a memory into the store !

    greg

    GregS, Dec 23, 2008
  9. scarumcreek

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Don't have one. But I have 2 SX-70's. One, the original brushed
    metal and the other, a white Model 2. I have no idea what I'm going
    to do with them though. At least they don't take up much space.

    Steve

    TheRealSteve, Dec 23, 2008
  10. scarumcreek

    Paul Furman Guest

    That's a groovy old Polaroid, I had lots of fun with one when I was a
    kid. I just checked recent sales on ebay and one sold for $200 though
    most for around $30 and a package of 100 pieces of film sold for $456 !

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 24, 2008
  11. scarumcreek

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Is that 100 pieces or 100 packs? If it was 100 packs, that's quite a
    deal. 100 pieces? Forget it.

    I have a few older Polaroids I don't use anymore so the SX-70's can
    join the collection. A Model 135 that was my parent's, a Colorpak II
    that I used as a kid, and a really old one that was my grandfather's
    but I'd have to dig it out to look at the model number. It uses roll
    film.

    Steve

    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
  12. scarumcreek

    Paul Furman Guest

    Collector's film. Keep it in your freezer with Elvis' sperm. :)

    "Up for auction are 10 packs (100 photos total) of Polaroid SX-70 / time
    zero film. This film expired in OCT 2006, which makes it some of the
    last SX-70 film Polaroid made before discontinuing it. It has been
    stored in the fridge.

    Since it is expired, I am selling it as is. I tested a pack from the
    same batch, and the pictures still look great.

    This is a great chance to buy some rare film."
    The interesting thing is they are all basically medium format cameras.
    <g>

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 24, 2008
  13. scarumcreek

    TheRealSteve Guest

    You can stil get the 600 film, which is usable with a filter, for way
    less. The Time Zero film is outragous. I can think of better things
    to do with my money than spend $4.56 per shot for expired film.

    I don't mind adding all the polaroids to the box of cameras I have
    that I'll never use again. A Canon EOS Rebel (original Andre Agassi
    advertised model), a Kodak pocket instamatic 10 with a flash cube
    extender, an old Minox that I still have an 8x11mm cartridge for with
    film that's probably 40 years expired, an old Kodak Duaflex IV 620
    twin lens reflex box camera, a Brownie box camera...

    These have more value to me than I could ever get by selling them
    because they're cameras of my childhood and my parents and
    grandparents But they'll all never take another picture. Which for
    most of them isn't such a bad thing.
    True. Which just goes to show that saying a camera is "medium format"
    doesn't necessarily mean it takes great pictures.

    Steve

    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
  14. scarumcreek

    Paul Furman Guest

    I gave my old dead Canon AE1 to a 10 year old autistic boy that I work
    with, he's very enthusiastic about photography and has a good eye, his
    dad studied cinematography so he's being groomed... I had second
    thoughts, thinking he probably doesn't even play with it but when I
    asked he said 'no, don't take it back, I want it' <grin>. I showed him
    how to open the film door & dismount the lens... it's very cool looking
    with a big bright viewfinder where you can really see the DOF effects.
    The foam seals on the mirror are toast, battery dead, lens mount
    wobbly... I have a photo of the camera on my web site and it has somehow
    attracted comments from a series of 13 year old girls who really want a
    cool camera like that <g>. Maybe you've got a grandkid or something who
    could enjoy them.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 24, 2008
  15. scarumcreek

    TheRealSteve Guest

    Actually, I used to have a Canon AE1 Program and a Minolta SRT-101
    that I gave away. I got my first digital camera about 8 years ago and
    second one 5 years ago. After I got the 2nd one, I realized I'd
    probably never use a film camera again so I gave away those two
    cameras to friends. The AE1 was in poor shape, might not even have
    worked. The Minolta was still useable. But 5 years ago, film was
    still in widespread use. I don't think I'd be able to give them away
    today and have someone actually appreciate what they can do.

    Steve

    TheRealSteve, Dec 24, 2008
  16. scarumcreek

    RiverMan Guest

    Thanks to everyone for your response! I never thought that question
    would generate that much interest. I finally settled on the SX10 and
    am now the proud owner! Bought it at Best Buy for $359.00 plus another
    $15 for a 4Gb card.

    So far I am quite happy... this camera seems very complex after using
    a Kodak EasyShare but the pictures and phenomenal! I am trying to
    study my manual a few pages at a time and making some progress. This
    camera is not that user friendly and you really have to have the
    manual nearby.

    One thing I either have not figured out or is a flaw in the camera
    (probably me) is when trying to shoot video in lower light I found the
    focus goes in and out over and over. I will have to do some more
    research I suppose

    Anyways... Thanks for the help!

    -=] RiverMan [=-

    You can see some examples of my sx10 picture's at:

    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind....viewPicture&friendID=43996487&albumId=455347
    and
    http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...viewPicture&friendID=43996487&albumId=2144775

    The SX10 shots are the last pics on those two pages. are marked as
    such and were taken in Auto mode.

    RiverMan, Dec 31, 2008
  17. scarumcreek

    ASAAR Guest

    Congratulations, it's a very nice camera. The first comparable
    camera I bought (Fuji's S5100 in 2004) was similarly complex.
    Unlike the Canon Powershot S1 & S2 I bought several years earlier,
    it took a while before I could get it to do what I knew it was
    capable of doing unless I had a manual nearby. Practice and
    re-reading make perfect, and those that don't, soon hear "RTFM!" :)

    A quick look in the PDF manual turned up something on page 90,
    explaining how to get AF lock before or while shooting movies by
    pressing the MF button. You can also use the [+/-] button to get AE
    lock. Most P&S cameras hunt in dim light or when they can't find
    anything with sufficient contrast or sharply defined vertical or
    horizontal edges. If you want to take a picture that has a lot of
    fur, hair or smoke, try focusing on something else that's close and
    about the same distance from the camera. DSLRs focus much more
    quickly and accurately in dim light because they don't use the
    contrast detection method used by P&S cameras, but even they'll hunt
    a bit depending on the light, the subject and the lens used.

    There's also a comment on page 92 that indicates that while
    shooting movies you can simultaneously (sort of) take still pictures
    by half-pressing the shutter button to focus and then you press
    fully to take the picture. Perhaps the half-press might help deal
    with the focus hunting? And if you don't actually take the still
    shot you probably won't see a short interruption in the movie that
    usually comes with taking stills. Can't guarantee that this will
    work, but it's worth a try.

    I just discovered something interesting on page 190. Sound only
    recording is possible for up to two hours at a time, with space for
    up to just over 50 hours on an 8GB card. That's much better than
    the max. 4 hours of audio that would fit on the same card using
    320x240 movie mode. For long recordings you'd probably want to get
    Canon's Power Adapter or a similar one from Radio Shack.

    You're welcome. Nice pictures, both pre and post SX10. I'll bet
    they induce more smiles than the pix most other people put online.
    A happy new year to you, Sneaky and your other pals!

    ASAAR, Dec 31, 2008
  18. scarumcreek

    GregS Guest

    I got the Fuji S2000HD for $233 at Best Buy and am really pleased with it. I bought it
    just before Christmas, and got some family shots and HD and regular movies.
    I would think its definately a best buy.

    greg

    GregS, Jan 2, 2009