Does anyone have experience with this attachment?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jack, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. Jack

    Jack Guest

    I need to take photos of some jewery for insurance docementation
    purpose, and would need to have a macro lens. I saw this on eBay and
    am wondering if it would fit the bill. Photographic interests are
    sceneries and travel and therefore would hate to spend much on a macro
    lens. I'll be using a 20D with a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.
    Jack, Nov 17, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jack

    Arthur Small Guest

    Arthur Small, Nov 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Jack

    Charles Guest

    Care to expand a bit on the description of the attachment?

    A "close-up filter" will probably do what you need, try that first.
    Cheapest option.

    A real macro lens would be the next step.
    Charles, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Jack

    JunkMonkey Guest

    Don't they still make extension tubes for SLR's any more?
    JunkMonkey, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Jack

    Mark B. Guest

    Yes, they do.

    Mark B., Nov 18, 2004
  6. Since it's for insurance and need not be studio quality, I suggest close-up
    lens attachments (+1, +2, +4).
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Yes, but with autofocus, they've gotten expensive.
    Michael A. Covington, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Jack

    Eric Gill Guest

    Well, if you want a killer, inexpensive macro, the Canon 50 compact macro
    is almost unbelievable for the price.
    Eric Gill, Nov 18, 2004
  9. Jack

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Nov 18, 2004
  10. Jack

    DFS Guest

    DFS, Nov 18, 2004
  11. I was looking for a similar item a while back, and made an note in
    my blog:
    The blog also have pointers to four online reviews and user reports.

    Summary: Avoid!

    As other's have said. The most inexpensive way to do close ups with
    a 20D (or any SLR) is to use extension tubes.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Nov 18, 2004
  12. Jack

    bob Guest

    Do you actually need macro shots? I've never actually needed to
    photograph anything for insurance purposes -- can they tell that much
    more about it from a closer photo?

    The best cheapest thing is probably to buy any decent 50mm lens from ebay
    (I've seen 50mm f/1.4 Nikkors in camera shops for $10) and use it
    backwards in front of your cannon 50mm lens.

    bob, Nov 18, 2004
  13. I prefer closeup lenses to macros. I have both for my film camera,
    but like many macros, the zoom lens only macros at the long focal
    length end. This changes perspective (yeah, I know the distance sets
    the perspective, but I use a longer distance with the tele end of the
    fl scale). I often, for table top work, do not want the compressing
    perspective of long fl. So I add the closeup (supplemental)lens. As
    long as your digital has a threaded lens end, or you can get an
    adapter, you should be able to get a set of closeup lenses.

    I treasure the closeup lens I have. I bought it nearly thirty years
    ago, and do not see them still available. It is a VARIABLE closeup
    lens, that works like a zoom lens, and covers from +1 to + 10. It is
    really nice!
    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Nov 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.