    boot past this point.

    Help with ideas of what is causing the boot to hang and maybe you know where
    there is some good 64bit maintenance software that is bootable, CD/DVD or USB.

    core20, Apr 15, 2008

  2. core20

    Theo Guest

    Have you tried pressing F8 and selecting to boot to last
    know good configuration?

    Another approach is to boot in Safe Mode and restoring to a
    previous restore point.

    Another is to try uninstalling recently installed programs.
    I have one system on which SpeedFan will not work, it
    locks up the system most of the time and occasionally it
    doesn't.

    Theo, Apr 15, 2008

  3. core20

    core20 Guest

    I've tried the basic stuff like Last Known Good.

    Here's a kicker, I made an ASR floppy for the system. But how do I use it?!
    What I mean is, when I boot, I have to put in the SATA Drive F6 floppy or
    the system will not detect the drives attached. But, when I do that, I can't
    also put in the ASR floppy because when I put that in, it keeps asking me for
    the other floppy...something like that. I this this a day ago and found
    myself going in circles. Maybe it's just me?! Ha!

    Anyhow, if you see the problem above, is it that I'm doing the floppy thing
    at the wrong time?

    Ultmately, what software can I get that is as good as MiniPE or Winternals
    for 64bit OS?

    Benjamin

    core20, Apr 15, 2008
  4. core20

    John Barnes Guest

    Can you get into safe mode. Often there is a video problem at that point.
    Refresh rate or resolution changes can be made to help get up in regular
    mode, then you can make any desired changes allowed.

    John Barnes, Apr 16, 2008
  5. core20

    Core20 Guest

    If I boot to safe mode, I get as far as it showing me the black safe mode
    screen but it never pops up the dialog box that tells me I'm about to go into
    safe mode and therefore, I cannot get to the logins.

    I see Safe Mode in the four corners of my display, and my mouse works, but I
    never get the dialog box. It hangs right there.

    If I wait, even a lllooonngggg time, nothing happens. Mouse works. Safe
    Mode is shown in all four corners of the display, but i never get the dialog
    box telling me I'm booting to safe mode.

    If this were a regular 32bit system, i would boot the system with Winternals
    or MiniPE and look at my Events to try to spot the issue. Might even backup
    to a restore point.

    That's why I'm asking if anyone knows of a 64bit utility boot CD like these
    programs. And I'm surely to have other issues with 64bit systems, so any
    boot utilities for 64bit would be heaven.

    Is there a way to boot to the 64bit original windows cd?

    Core20, Apr 21, 2008
  6. core20

    John Barnes Guest

    You can boot to the original install CD. At the first choice screen you can
    select R to enter the recovery console and work from a command prompt.

    John Barnes, Apr 21, 2008
  7. core20

    Core20 Guest

    Is command prompt all there is for utilities for 64bit?

    Compare that to MiniPE...no comparison...

    Thank you for working with me on this. Maybe there is no utility cd at all
    for 64bit?

    Core20, Apr 22, 2008