Does anybody know about this URL *.0.0.0.0

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by aannggeell, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. aannggeell

    aannggeell Guest

    ..
    Does anybody know about this:
    URL "*.0.0.0.0" has somehow been installed in the Internet Explorer
    5.5/Tools/Options/Security/Trusted sites/Sites.
    I cannot seem to permanently Delete it!
    I delete it, and it just reappears!
    I have tried adding it to the Internet Explorer
    5.5/Tool/Options/Security/Restricted sites/Sites, but that seems to make no
    difference.

    Also, while we're at it:
    I can't Delete any entries (individually nor collectively) from Outlook
    Express 5.5/NewsGroups.
    I have to UnSubscribe from each NG individually, Delete the NGs .DBX file
    through Windows Explorer, Re-Subscribe to the NG, and then (re-) download.
    What's up with that?

    Angel

    ..

    aannggeell, Feb 3, 2005

  2. It's an internal address for your own machine.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Feb 3, 2005

  3. 0.0.0.0 is used for DHCP. Before the client has an IP address it uses
    0.0.0.0.

    Not sure why that would be in the "Trusted Sites". I would also check if IE
    can you netmasks/Host masks in the "Trust Sites" area. If it does, that
    could be a representation of "allow all". As it is when making firewall
    rules.

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005

  4. That is the loopback 127.0.0.1...

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  5. For most, if not all, purposes they're interchangable.

    TB

    Technobarbarian, Feb 4, 2005

  6. I don't think so.......

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  7. aannggeell

    winged Guest

    For tcp: (RFC 2012) The local IP address for this TCP connection. In the
    case of a connection in the listen state which is willing to accept
    connections for any IP interface associated with the node, the value
    0.0.0.0 is used.

    For udp: (RFC 2013) The local IP address for this UDP listener. In the
    case of a UDP listener which is willing to accept datagrams for any IP
    interface associated with the node, the value 0.0.0.0 is used.

    Winged

    winged, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Are you sure this would be the case? Your snippet was taken from a
    description of a C structure used for implementing a SNMPv2 server. The
    structure is this:

    From the RFC for SNMPv2:

    tcpConnLocalAddress OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX IpAddress
    MAX-ACCESS read-only
    STATUS current
    DESCRIPTION
    "The local IP address for this TCP connection. In the case
    of a connection in the listen state which is willing to
    accept connections for any IP interface associated with the
    node, the value 0.0.0.0 is used."
    ::= { tcpConnEntry 2 }

    Now, what this is saying, is when you have a server waiting for incoming
    connections you put 0.0.0.0 in the IpAddress field. This is to represent
    all the IP interfaces (ie multihomed servers). In other words 0.0.0.0 means
    "all of my interfaces".

    When the socket (that uses this sudo C structure), is waiting for an
    incoming connection, it will use 0.0.0.0 to signify that any, if there are
    multiple address associated with the host (dual homed), address can be used
    on the host.

    The problem I have is, this is used for servers (ie incoming connections).
    If I understood the OP problems, it had to do with Internet
    Explorer/Exploder (In other words a client only) and would not use sockets
    that are waiting for incoming connections!
    Same as above. This is a C structure for an SNMPv2 Server (UDP instead of
    TCP). It also has the same problems as the top quote.
    I think I would look into MS definitions of the reg key...I know they do
    bastardize the Standards all too often. I think the 0.0.0.0 might be a
    hostmask/netmask (meaning all sites are included in the Trusted Sites
    category)...I will look. If anyone else finds out please post.

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005

  9. What do you have listed in / tools/ options / security/ trusted sites /
    sites

    Is there anything? Please let us know.....

    Michael

    Michael J. Pelletier, Feb 4, 2005
  10. aannggeell

    aannggeell Guest

    What do you have listed in / tools/ options / security/ trusted sites /
    sites

    Is there anything? Please let us know.....

    Michael

    ..
    MS IE 5.5/Tools/Internet Options/Security/Trusted sites/Sites/
    My ISP;
    My E-mail Account Providers;
    My Anti-Virus Software Provider;
    My Online Business Connections; and
    *.0.0.0.0

    MS IE 5.5/Tools/Internet Options/Security/Restricted sites/Sites/
    ad.doubleclick.net;
    *.doubleclick.net;
    ad.doubleclick.com;
    *.doubleclick.com; and
    *.0.0.0.0 (which I keep adding, but deletes itself: sometimes after a
    minute or two; sometimes after closing then reopening the browser; and
    sometimes only after Boot Up!)

    MS IE 5.5/Tools Internet Options/Security/
    Internet/Security level/Custom - Medium-High
    Trusted sites/Security level/Custom - Low-Medium
    Restricted sites/Security level/Custom - High

    Angel
    ..

    aannggeell, Feb 4, 2005
  11. aannggeell

    Jim Berwick Guest

    You can't delete stuff from newsgroups. OE will remove them from it's
    cache when the article expires off of your news server.

    Jim Berwick, Feb 4, 2005
  12. Also, while we're at it:
    Nope. It is a linked array. All or nothing.
    That is more or less how I do it. I clear newsgroup postings periodically. You
    don't have to delete the files, though. It is much cleaner and less traumatic to
    just close OE. For example, if I want to clear alt.computer.security, I'll just
    right click and select "unsubscribe." Then I close OE and reopen it. The group
    entry and data file will be gone. Then I just go back to the usenet list and
    resubscribe.

    If you want to delete the whole domain, just right click on the server key and
    select "Remove Account." That will remove the server account and all the
    associated newsgroups. Close and reopen OE to complete housekeeping.

    \Crash\ Dummy, Feb 4, 2005
  13. "0.0.0.0" generally means all (local) interfaces. I certainly don't have
    such an entry (in the interface, at any rate), so I'd guess that something
    is running on you macine that requires it.

    With or without your knowledge, I might add.. what happens if you go to a
    site that you wouldn't set as trusted? Does it come up as "trusted"?

    If it /does/, then it's likely to be malware running on your machine. If it
    doesn't, then it's likely that you've installed something and then forgotten
    about it.
    It's a server-based service, just like a web site - stuff disappears from
    the server according to the *server's* policy.

    What you /can/ do is set them to be cleared from your local store after a
    given amount of time. I don't personally bother, as there's a drop-down at
    the top that hides all read messages..

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Feb 7, 2005
  14. aannggeell

    kern Guest

    its a 360 grip arround grind back your localhost rebound.

    kern, Feb 20, 2005