    Do any of the new entry level (up to $2,000) DSLRs have these
    features?

    Thanks.

    Darren Wilson, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Darren Wilson

    sid derra Guest

    i only can speak for the nikon D70 - it does have these "guidelines" which
    divide the image into 4x4 segments.

    sid

    sid derra, Mar 30, 2005

  3. Darren Wilson

    Owamanga Guest

    Nikon D100 has voice memo (needs the optional multi-function battery
    pack).

    Nikon D70 & D100 have an in-viewfinder 'grid mode' to aid horizons and
    architectual shots.

    If choosing between them, I'd get the D70 and a $40 digital voice
    recorder.

    There must be other brands too...

    Owamanga, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Darren Wilson

    Chris Brown Guest

    The viewfinder that came with the 43mm ultra wide angle lens for my Mamiya 7
    medium format rangefinder has a little spirit level built into it. It
    strikes me that it shouldn't be that hard to put one in an SLR veiwfinder.

    Chris Brown, Mar 30, 2005
  5. The Fuji S2 Pro has optional grid lines on the focusing screen, if
    that's what you mean. And it does support voice memo recording. And
    has by now dropped into the price range you mention, I believe.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Mar 30, 2005
  6. Darren Wilson

    Ken Tough Guest

    I found the sound clips on our Oly 3040 to be a fantastic feature,
    and do in a sense miss it on the D70. Seeing some of the slide shows
    of snaps taken with the 3040 and atmosphere sound really makes them
    come alive. It is a pain though, in that it ties everything up while
    recording, so that does make a problem with how to encorporate it
    into a rapid-action dSLR. It just ain't the same having a separate
    recording and having to piece them together.

    Ken Tough, Mar 30, 2005
  7. Darren Wilson

    Owamanga Guest

    Oh, I thought it was used for some sort of verbal note - regarding the
    subject or shot (location, girls phone number etc). I didn't think
    about ambient sound capture...

    Owamanga, Mar 30, 2005
  8. Darren Wilson

    Sheldon Guest

    My D70 has grid lines that can be turned on and off, and my old Sony had a
    voice recorder built in but I never used it. All the info I need is
    attached to the image. If you're trying to put together a slide show with
    audio I would use software, a mic, and some MP3 files to do that. I guess
    everybody uses those voice recordings for different things, but I'll bet
    most don't use them at all except when taking video clips.

    The grid lines are a good idea, however.

    Sheldon, Mar 30, 2005