    Somehow I doubt you'd be much worried about getting blinded
    by that one.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jan 20, 2013

  2. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    Friend of mine is a professional photographer. Weddings, all sorts of
    stuff.

    Anyway, on the bigger, better theme, he went out and bought a one ton dually
    truck with an aluminum extendable boom on it so that he could get overheads
    at weddings, and for some of his more exotic outdoor shots.

    Come to find out, it takes so much time to position the thing, especially
    with all the falderal that goes with a wedding, that it was impractical.
    And brides do not want a one ton dually in the middle of the buffet area, no
    matter the protestations of the groom and the testosterone group. And for
    outdoor professional work, he had historically practiced "composing with his
    feet", vs: "focusing with his feet", as discussed at length in another
    thread. On outdoors stuff, it is hard getting a one ton dually close to the
    subject, sometimes within half a mile.

    Bottom line, he had a "Larry" on his hands. (A very old salesman from the
    family used that term to describe any item that was a dud.) He put it out
    at a car lot for $14k, and it did not sell. At $14k, he was taking a
    beating. Think he finally sold it for around $10k. It was very light, and
    practical for one photographer, but so light that it was useless for someone
    say, hanging signs, or working from it with any additional weight
    whatsoever. And construction is slow here anyway.

    Sometimes bigger and better IS actually bigger and better, but it doesn't
    add a lot to the equation.

    Steve

    Steve B, Jan 20, 2013

  3. Peter Jason

    Steve B Guest

    Read somewhere that insurgents are now able to hack into drones
    communication with common laptops, and I think some breaches in security
    which should be plugged soon if not already. Read somewhere that there was
    a very simple way of detecting or defeating the drones, using a very common
    item, but can not recall what that was. Oh, well, we got lots of drones,
    and apparently one is getting through now and then.

    Steve

    Steve B, Jan 20, 2013
  4. The laser sights on my Taurus revolver are class IIIa (I happen to have
    the paperwork around still). Looking that up, that means "Lasers in
    this class are mostly dangerous in combination with optical instruments
    which change the beam diameter or power density, though even without
    optical instrument enhancement direct contact with the eye for over two
    minutes may cause serious damage to the retina."

    So, it's pretty hard to hurt somebody accidentally with one of these.
    Certainly the two minutes of direct exposure is not the big danger!
    Possibly, in a room full of people using optical instruments more
    complex than eyeglasses, it might be possible, maybe.

    They also say this is a very common power level for both laser sights
    for firearms, and laser pointers.

    With this power level (which is stronger than any of the laser pointers
    I actually own), I don't worry about it. I don't point it steadily for
    extended periods, and there's no risk from the fleeting exposure of it
    tracking across an eye. (I might, in self-defense, hold the laser sight
    steady on somebody for a while, but as you say, since I'm prepared to
    use deadly force, I'm not that worried about minor issues.)

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 21, 2013
  5. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    I know several pros who use the Hassy.One is a well known fashion
    photog, the others are Nat Geo guys. Yes, the Nat Geo guys also use
    Canons, and some even use a view with a Better Light scanning back.
    <http://www.betterlight.com/products4X5.html>

    /when the Nikon D800 E was released, some switched to that camera. But,
    I stand by my original point that the project will often drive the
    camera that is used.

    Peter, Jan 21, 2013
  6. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    As I have repeatedly said: What they use depends on the job to be done.

    Peter, Jan 21, 2013
  7. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    yes I know so is the ability to see around corners.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 21, 2013
  8. Yes, I guess I did see them as commercial products too. I don't think
    they looked like guns, the "rifle" ones were just a rifle but and then
    some hardware to hold the camera. I can certainly see a real value, you
    get stability without having to lean against something or have a tripod
    sitting somewhere.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jan 24, 2013
  9. Peter Jason

    Peter Guest

    According to several dealers, the one's with a wooden shoulder support
    are no longer available. Also, in today's climate I am concerned about
    the wisdom of carrying one. I can easily imagine blue haired lady
    freaking out.

    Peter, Jan 24, 2013
  10. Peter Jason

    PeterN Guest

    Yup! I have seen that online. while it looks good, I will only buy after
    I test it for feel.

    PeterN, Jan 24, 2013
  11. Peter Jason

    Whisky-dave Guest

    I think a 'rifle grip' was my 3rd or 4th 'photographic purchase (equipment wise) still have it somewhere.

    Whisky-dave, Jan 25, 2013