    Canon tech support I could use whatever info I can get. Do chips wear out ?
    We use the camera alot so we're talk about many many actuations . Any help
    or info will be greatly appreciated.

    John, Oct 25, 2006

  2. John

    irwell Guest

    All electronic circuits change over time.
    Resistors and capacitors change their
    value due to heat and surges.

    irwell, Oct 25, 2006

  3. John

    beerspill Guest

    I can imagine a CCD wearing out, but I have a feeling it's unaffected
    in your case. Other chips take decades, maybe a century, to fail, and
    resistors last forever at low voltage and power. The electronic
    components most likely to fail are electrolytic capacitors, but the
    only ones I would expect to fail would be those located in any power
    supply circuitry. But because you have multiple optical problems, I
    would suspect that circuitry, especially if you don't get low-battery
    warnings.

    beerspill, Oct 25, 2006
  4. John

    Kevin Guest

    Possibly dust, condensation or other junk has built up inside the camera.
    How likely that is depends on how the camera is used and in what environment
    it is used. I doubt the problem is with the sensor itself wearing out.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Oct 25, 2006
  5. Probably sensor dust/dirt. You can get kits for cleaning the sensor. Just
    Google for " sensor cleanung kits" and you will be amazed how common a
    problem this is.

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 25, 2006
  6. John

    tomm42 Guest

    The camera is pushing 8-10 years old, a very major purchase at 20K+.
    But cameras now have better features, though without the AA filter this
    camera is very sharp. Is Kodak still repairing these? I'd send it in if
    they are. If there is goo on the lens or sensor (which is possible with
    this camera) they would be the best ones for cleaning the actual
    sensor. If the electronics have come to the end of their life Kodak
    will let you know too.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 25, 2006
  7. John

    Bill Funk Guest

    The Canon EOS-1 is a film camera; do you mean the 1D?
    If so (and I think you do), thenthe answer is "sort of". Yes,
    components do age, meaning values change over time with use and
    exposure ot the environment.
    What did you replace the 1D with? "the new model" doesn't mean much,
    because there have been many new models since the 1D was brought out.
    The occasional lack of sharpness can be caused by many things, most of
    them brought on by the user, but sometimes can be caused by a
    situation where the lens is having a hard time autofocusing because of
    a lack of contrast (like in a low light situation).
    If you could give more details (like which camera, which lens, what
    situations where focus is poor, EXIF info) we can offer much more
    help.

    Bill Funk, Oct 25, 2006
  8. I agree. Such deposits create flare, which gives exactly the symptoms
    mentioned.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Oct 26, 2006
  9. John

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Tom:

    The original poster ("John") mentioned a "Canon Eos1," not a Kodak
    camera.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Oct 31, 2006
  10. John

    Bill Funk Guest

    And while the OP did say EOS 1, I believe he meant an EOS 1D.
    The EOS 1 was a film camera.

    Bill Funk, Oct 31, 2006
  11. Are you sure it's not the lens getting dirty?
    Is the camera exposed to cigarette smoke or similar?
    Are the mechanics of the lens all right?
    If I were you I'd go into a shop and try a fresh lens.

    Normally chips don't wear out in the sense you mean.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

    Volker Hetzer, Nov 1, 2006