Does a Daisy have blood?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pinehollow, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. Pinehollow

    Pinehollow Guest

    Pinehollow, Jan 4, 2006

  2. Pinehollow

    Ed Ruf Guest

    Only females suck blood, required to reproduce, iirc.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Jan 4, 2006

  3. Pinehollow

    Charles Guest

    they do. Mosquitos, not daisys. only female mosquitos suck blood,
    and they don't have to do it every generation, they normally live on
    plant juice.

    Charles, Jan 4, 2006
  4. Pinehollow

    Chris Guest

    I am not sure what that is...but its not a mosquito!! It looks like a
    mosquito hawk, but they actually eat mosquitoes...so not sure what it
    is...but too big for a mosquito.

    Chris, Jan 4, 2006
  5. Pinehollow

    Pinehollow Guest

    No, it's not a mosquito hawk and it is not as big as it looks. That is a
    small daisy. It measures about 1 inch across. Also, we have huge mosquitos
    here.

    Don

    Pinehollow, Jan 4, 2006
  6. Could be a crane fly. They look like mosquitos except for the fact that
    they're about an inch long. They're strictly vegetarian too, unlike female
    mosquitos.

    Paul in Toronto, Jan 4, 2006
  7. Pinehollow

    U-Know-Who Guest

    It is indeed a member of the Crane fly family. And yes, in some parts of the
    U.S. they are called "mosquito hawks", and the old wives tale is they are
    mosquito predators. They do not.

    http://www.everythingabout.net/arti...rthropods/insects/flies/crane_fly/index.shtml

    U-Know-Who, Jan 5, 2006
  8. Pinehollow

    Mark² Guest

    I don't know the answer to whether they live off of flowers...but I'm
    thinking that's not even a mosquito.

    Mark², Jan 5, 2006
  9. Pinehollow

    Skip M Guest

    That is, indeed, a Crane Fly. Much bigger than a mosquito, and their mouth
    parts, though similar in appearance, function completely differently. If
    you have grubs in your lawn that are brown with a white head, these are the
    larvae of the Crane Fly...
    Digging deep into the memories of my class in Plant Pathology in
    1975...Which, since it was the '70s, may be a bit on the inaccurate side...

    Skip M, Jan 5, 2006
  10. Pinehollow

    Pinehollow Guest

    Thanks for the comments. I sure thought that it was a mosquito, but I am
    overruled.

    Don

    Pinehollow, Jan 5, 2006
  11. Pinehollow

    George Kerby Guest

    Male mosquitoes don't drink blood, just the bitches.

    George Kerby, Jan 6, 2006