    interlaced. Always an interesting one of how to show a screen capture
    of a 1080i signal. Any recommendations?

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006

  2. Something moving, so the discrepancy between alternate scan-lines becomes
    obvious.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 11, 2006

  3. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Tried that at one point which leads into the following comment
    "Why is the picture so bad"
    and then you have to explain the whole interlaced/deinterlaced picture
    thing which most consumers don't understand.

    Ho Hum..

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006
  4. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    There is something majorly wrong with that guys analog reception and the
    addition of jpegging it over the noisy images makes it look worse again.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2006
  5. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    Anything that isnt a CRT will display 1080i as progressive, which is why
    converting 720p up to 1080i is a huge step backwards since it has to be
    deinterlaced at the other end of the cable to display on the flat panel.

    Richard, Oct 11, 2006
  6. Jack Hammond

    Mutley Guest

    Maybe we need one of these.. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14092

    Vaporware or real..??

    Mutley, Oct 11, 2006
  7. Jack Hammond

    Kent Smith Guest

    Kent Smith, Oct 11, 2006
  8. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Actually I have excellent analogue reception. Better than a lot of
    people I know. There is a touch of ghosting I know, but otherwise quite
    watchable by NZ standards.

    The captures were done using a Hauppauge PVR-150 MPEG-2 capture card at
    an average bit rate of 5.6 Mb. Comparing the JPEG images on the net
    with the original non-compressed screen captures shows very little
    difference.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 11, 2006
  9. Jack Hammond

    Richard Guest

    What deinterlacing was performed on the image? I find I get similar
    effects if I use some of the crap modes in dscaler when watching tv.

    Also, I think reception out of auckland is worse then auckland because
    they have to sent it down country. I know when I was in chch the picture
    was horrible despite having good LOS to the site and a decent looking
    antenna.

    Richard, Oct 12, 2006
  10. Jack Hammond

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Deinterlacing was using kerndeint from Donald Graft which produces
    about the best quality. The de-interlacing issues aren't really as
    apparent on motion as they are on stills.

    Plus I really could do with a deghost filter before the de-interlace.
    The reception for the average Kiwi Auckland or elsewhere is dreadful.
    Hence why so many choose to get SkyTV just for a better TV picture.
    Generally when i've been in larger towns reception has been comparable
    to an average Auckland picture. I personally feel my reception is
    slightly above average.

    Steve

    Steven Ellis, Oct 12, 2006
  11. ....or how about yet another high-definition disc format: HD VMD
    <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35029>?

    Based on good old DVD-style, cheap red laser technology, instead of those
    expensive blue lasers in HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. That's probably a big reason
    why they can offer players at a starting price of--wait for it--£95. Which
    is pocket change compared to current players for the other formats. Also no
    copy protection.

    But on the other hand, no support from Hollywood. Could still take off in
    Asian markets, though...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2006