    Just lately performance has been poor just when I wanted
    to update the income tax software . . . Would a newer
    router (perhaps Wireless N) give better performance?

    Don Phillipson, Mar 1, 2010

  2. Don Phillipson

    noi ance Guest

    Yes, but only if you also switch your wireless cards to 802.11n. Then
    you'd get the max. 150N transfer rates but using 802.11g on a Wireless N
    router limits the max. to 54M transfers. And those numbers decrease
    depending on interference between router and wireless card.

    noi ance, Mar 1, 2010

  3. Don Phillipson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    You need to upgrade the security from WEP to at least WPA, preferably WPA2. WEP
    is not safe and is easily cracked and hacked.

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
    http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com

    Barb Bowman, Mar 3, 2010
  4. Hi
    They do not wear out from use.
    However, if used in an unventilated environment and tend to get Hot, the
    excessive heat can wear them out over time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Mar 3, 2010
  5. Don Phillipson

    jch Guest

    Sounds hormonal to me. Is this a female network?

    jch, Mar 6, 2010
  6. Don Phillipson

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Mar 8, 2010
  7. Don Phillipson

    James Egan Guest

    Regarding WPA with a long random(ish) key, are you talking about the
    theoretical man in the middle attack which was discussed a while back
    or is this something else?

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 8, 2010
  8. Don Phillipson

    Lem Guest

    WPA is not "easily cracked." There was a paper by a couple of German
    researchers in late 2008, followed by one from some Japanese researchers
    last summer, that described successful attacks on WPA-protected systems.
    Neither method actually "breaks" the encryption. For details, see
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...e-wifi-crack-puts-further-pressure-on-wpa.ars
    http://arstechnica.com/security/news/2008/11/wpa-cracked.ars

    That said, it is definitely better to go to WPA2. Or, if your hardware
    is not WPA2-capable, see if it is capable of WPA (AES), which will foil
    both methods described in the papers.

    Lem, Mar 8, 2010