    goal is in Networking?

    If not necessary, I'd rather not spend money on A+ certification. I am
    taking the second class of A+ at a local college.

    Win.Tin.Mar, Mar 26, 2008

  2. The issue here isn't will it help you in your job, its will it help you on
    an interview. And herein lies the problem. Letters after your name always
    help when the HR Monkey is looking at your resume, the actual hiring manager
    for the Network job in question wont really care I imagine, but he may not
    see your file if you don't get passed the first layer.

    Personally I didn't take my A+ untill the fall of 2004 because I had no need
    for it. Then someone asked me to teach it so I took the two exams one day
    before lunch. I later added the 3 specializations when they came out for the
    same reason, did again just becuase I was asked to teach them. A large
    number of people still look at the A+/Net+ combo as a good starter
    certification pack to have when moving forwardi n IT. But honestly it
    doesn't matter if you don't care about the letters and don't feel like
    spending the insane amount of money per exam. what are they now? Something
    like 160 per for A+? Over 200 for Net+ now too IIRC....

    I know my blood runs blue but MS does at least have the least exepensive
    exam fees in the US anyway...

    .rev [askthemct.com], Mar 26, 2008

  3. Win.Tin.Mar

    Dude Guest

    My employer requires A+ and Network+ before you can get hired. For most
    MCSE's though, the MCSE seems to carry more weight though. Here are the
    pro's and con's of A+ and Network+, in my opinion.

    Pros: A+ and Network+ show more experience. You might have a better chance
    at a job overs someone who is a 'paper' MCSE. Network+ will help you prepare
    for other exams like the CCNA and 70-291 exams. A+ and Network+ NEVER expire
    or reach 'end of life cycle'. CompTIA exams are non vendor specific, so if
    Microsoft goes belly up your credentials will still be valid. CompTIA A+ and
    Network+ together count as an elective for the MCSA/MCSE certifications.

    Cons: Not as well known as MCSE. Some people have never heard of CompTIA.
    A+ and Network+ aren't as well recognized outside of the US. The exams cost
    almost double the price of Microsoft exams. To take both A+ and the Network+
    exams will cost almost $700, ouch! The high price tag is why most MCSE's
    skip these exams.

    I've also taken Security+, which is a good exam and not that hard. I've
    seen test questions similar to Security+ on some Microsoft exams like 70-622
    and 70-649. This exam will help prepare you for other exams. Security+ is
    also an elective for the MCSA/MCSE certifications. Security+ is non vendor
    specific. If you take A+ and Network+, I also recommend that you take
    Security+. Maybe your employeer will reimburse you for the exam fees?
    Security is a big issue these days.

    I've also taken CompTIA i-Net+, which doesn't seem to help much unless you
    are a Webmaster. Some of the exam questions were similar to Security+ and
    some Microsoft exams. It did help me study for other exams, but I don't
    think it was really worth the exam fee. A+/Network+ and Security+ will do
    more to help you get a job than i-Net+.

    Ok, there is my $0.02 about CompTIA. I hope this helps.

    Dude, Mar 26, 2008
  4. Win.Tin.Mar

    Jtyc Guest

    Does it help to have A+ certificate

    I'm A+ certified and well, just look at me!

    *shows some leg*

    Jtyc, Mar 26, 2008
  5. Win.Tin.Mar

    Win.Tin.Mar Guest

    It helps a lot. Earlier this year, I told myself to take A+, Network
    +,,and security+ in summer as soon as this current semester is over.

    I might have to postpone Security+ because my plan to study for it
    along with a course in fundamental of Security didn't work out when
    the instructor for that class was extremely lousy and I dropped the
    class. I can study on my own but I decided to just do A+ and Network+
    first as soon as this semester is over and then study for security+ -
    hopefully, I get to take it before fall semester starts - ssince I am
    also taking classes that would prepare me for MCSA, a class in Active
    Directory and also Advanced Windows Security.

    I do not plan to take MCSA or MCSE. I plan to take Cisco classes in
    coming fall and take exams in December (for 1 & 2level).

    Thanks.

    Win.Tin.Mar, Mar 28, 2008
  6. Win.Tin.Mar

    Win.Tin.Mar Guest

    Well then, I can say "A+ certification" with a future date next to
    it :)
    Good point.
    I am in US.

    Win.Tin.Mar, Mar 28, 2008
  7. Win.Tin.Mar

    Dude Guest

    I ordered a used 'Security+ for Dummies' book from Amazon.com to study for
    this exam. It was under $10 including shipping. The material in this book
    is easy to read and humorous. I even laughed at the section about MD5 hash
    algorithms. It covered the exam objectives very well. For this price it was
    totally worth it. Between reading this book, 1 chapter a week, and some
    practice questions, I passed the Security+ exam no problem.

    Dude, Mar 28, 2008
  8. I got A+ back around '97 or '98 I guess. It definitely helps get you headed
    in the right direction.

    - Jason

    Jason Lindgren, Mar 28, 2008
  9. Win.Tin.Mar

    pointy_ears Guest

    If it helps any in your decision-making process, you can take a look
    at information about average salaries for people with different
    certifications. I saw one recently at http://careersaver.com/SalaryByCertification.asp
    that compared 2006 to 2007, so that you can see the trends. The same
    site (it's a cert prep company, in case you were wondering) also has
    tools to show you what exams are required for each certification, so
    that you can figure out what's involved in each one. Those are at
    http://careersaver.com/CertificationTracks.asp
    Of course, just remember what was said earlier in the thread: the
    certifications get them to look your way. Make sure that you develop
    the real-world skills to hold their attention.

    pointy_ears, Apr 8, 2008
  10. Win.Tin.Mar

    pointy_ears Guest

    Actually, after making my previous post, I noticed that the site I was
    mentioning also has an article about 2008's "hottest" certifications
    -- http://careersaver.com/TopCerts.asp
    Sorry for my absent-mindedness in not noticing it before, but it looks
    like it could also be useful in helping you decide what you want to do
    with your career. Good luck.

    pointy_ears, Apr 8, 2008
  11. I've been job hunting since last September. I notice that in my area, most
    employers were requiring A+ at a minimum. I decided to start studying even
    though I was sending out resumes continuously. In December I took
    Essentials and in January I took the IT elective. Since I passed in
    January, my return call rate from employers has dramatically increased. I'm
    not necessarily "smarter". Everything on the exam I knew from my 25 years
    of being an electronic tech for 3M and Kodak, but I never stopped to
    actually memorized this stuff! The exam forced me to memorize a lot stuff
    that is generally easy to noodle out. However, I do not regret one minute
    of study. It helped to reinforce what I picked up setting up networked
    medical and library machines with Windows based pc's and servers all these
    years. I'm now prepping for Network+, once again, knowing a lot of the
    subject already, but getting it drilled in.

    Best of luck to all applicants.

    Boris Badenov, Apr 9, 2008
  12. Win.Tin.Mar

    kemp Guest

    According to this web site I am underpaid by $33k. Anyone hiring? :p

    Hello ,

    kemp, Apr 9, 2008
  13. Win.Tin.Mar

    kpg Guest

    Will you work for $3 a day?

    kp "Meals not included" g

    kpg, Apr 9, 2008
  14. Win.Tin.Mar

    pointy_ears Guest

    Are you running one of those I.T. sweatshops that I keep hearing about
    on the news?

    pointy_ears, Apr 10, 2008
  15. Win.Tin.Mar

    kemp Guest

    Hello kpg,
    Yes, I currently do work for that. Some days I get paid in meatballs.

    kemp, Apr 10, 2008
  16. Win.Tin.Mar

    kemp Guest

    Hello ,

    Hey, don't knock it. My staff of 8 year olds Bangladeshi admins work for
    only 6 cents a week!

    kemp, Apr 10, 2008
  17. Win.Tin.Mar

    kpg Guest

    <HomerFx>
    ahhhhhhh...meatballs
    </HomerFx>

    kpg, Apr 10, 2008
  18. Win.Tin.Mar

    Bill Hileman Guest

    Yabbut, are they certified?

    Bill Hileman, Apr 10, 2008
  19. Win.Tin.Mar

    CBIC Guest

    Who is the youngest MCSE to achieve cert. Plz send reply to my email ID.
    Thanking you.

    CBIC, Apr 11, 2008