do i need a new PSU?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by KingCreole, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. KingCreole

    KingCreole Guest

    Hi,

    I upgraded my moms pc for her birthday replacing her old mobo/cpu and gfx
    card with a new cpu and my old mobo and gfx card. The pc works great except
    at random times, can be while playing a game or just sitting in windows, the
    graphics will go distorted (all fuzzy lines, reminds me of when i used o set
    my resoloution higher than my monitor could handle). This happens much more
    often (every hour) when using my old gfx card which was a radeon 9700 pro,
    due to this i replaced it with her old gfx card, tnt2, and it has happened
    still, but only twice.

    Obviously with the extra power needed for a 9700 compared to a tnt2 it got
    me thinking that maybe its the PSU, its a bog standard 300w affair that came
    in the case at time of purchase. the rest of the new system is: amd 64 3200,
    asus a8v mobo, 512md ddr 400, 2 hard drives - 1 20gb 1 10gb, 1 cdrw and a
    couple of usb devices.

    Anyone seen this problem caused by an under powered PSU before? if not where
    should I look next? really we want to get the 9700pro in the pc and working
    stabily.

    Thanks in advance

    KingCreole, Feb 11, 2006

  2. KingCreole

    JANA Guest

    I always found that it never really paid to start upgrading a computer when
    a big step is taken. You should look in the documentation for all the
    devices in the computer, and find out the wattages. Add them all up, and see
    if they are at least 30 to 40% below the maximum rating of the supply. Most
    likely you will need a new supply. There may be other hardware
    incompatibilities, depending on how they match up.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Feb 12, 2006