    but I wanted to know if I could take the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294
    instead of taking the other two condensed courses (292 & 296)?

    Jim

    Guest, Jun 1, 2007

  2. As far as I know, to upgrade you have to take the specific *upgrade* exams.

    I'm sure you can certainly follow the entire 2003 track if you wish.

    Michael Dragone, Jun 1, 2007

  3. Guest

    John R Guest

    You can take 290, 291, 293, and 294
    You can take 290, 291, and 296
    You can take 292, 293, and 294
    You can take 292 and 296

    Take you choice, all of those will get you there.

    Beware, 292 and 296 will retire in March/2008. So if you want to use either
    of those, get them in before that.

    John R

    John R, Jun 1, 2007
  4. Guest

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Jim, I am afraid John is wrong. You are not eligible to take 70-292 unless
    you are an MCSA on Windows 2000, and you are not eligible to take 70-296
    unless you are an MCSE on Windows 2000. These exams are not in lieu of
    anything unless you have the certifications that you are upgrading from.

    And for the record, I have taken 70-292... I do not understand why you would
    possibly actually OPT to take an upgrade exam if you didn't have to... they
    are TOUGH!

    Good luck though!

    Montreal MCT, Jun 1, 2007
  5. Guest

    John R Guest

    I have a tremendous amount of respect for Montreal MCT and I would trust him
    implicitly, but with all due respect, I believe I am correct. At least, I
    am as correct as my certification planner which shows it that way. It shows
    that you can take 70-292 if you are MCSA 2000 or MCSE 2000 to satisfy
    'Upgrade 1' requirements. I checked that before I posted, and I just
    checked it again. I can post a pic if you like. Of course, you do have to
    have MCSE 2000 to take 70-296. Jim stated that he did have MCSE 2000.

    Further, this is from the MCSE 2003 requirements page...
    "Networking: An MCSE on Windows 2000 has the option to take only Exams
    70-292 and 70-296 instead of all four core network exams; however, an MCSE
    on Windows 2000 can elect to take all four core network exams."

    However, since there is now a question about it, maybe Jim should actually
    contact Microsoft mcphelp. Montreal may certainly know something that I
    don't.

    I would appreciate a follow-up Jim if you do because the last thing I want
    to do is give out incorrect information.

    Thanks

    John R

    John R, Jun 2, 2007
  6. Guest

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Ok I completely misread Jim's post. I have reread it, and here is the
    answer:

    In order to do the non-upgrade path you will have to make sure that your
    electives meet the complete criteria for the 2003 credentials. That is:
    Your electives for MCSA qualify as electives for MCSA 2003, and your design
    & electives for MCSE fulfill the requirements for MCSE 2003.

    Sorry John, I completely misread Jim's original post (it was none too clear)
    so yours couldn't have made sense to me. My understanding was that he was
    starting from ZERO and wanted to take each of those upgrade exams in place
    of the full out ones.

    Montreal MCT, Jun 2, 2007
  7. Guest

    John R Guest

    No Problem Montreal, just glad to hear that I wasn't crazy. You had me
    worried there for a while :)

    Yes, if he was in fact starting from zero, then I would have been totally
    incorrect.

    And as to the electives, the MCSE 2000 credential itself satisfies the
    elective requirement for both MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003. The only thing that
    is required to get from MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003 is the upgrades to the core
    elements, that is (290+291 or 292), and (293+294 or 296).

    John R

    John R, Jun 2, 2007