Do I have to have the WEP # set for file sharing?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 31, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have a Belkin wireless G router with the following set up:
    cable modem to the internet connected to my Belkin router which is connected
    to my desk top (xp home) via lan cable. My laptop (xp pro) has a belkin
    card. I am able to gain access to the internet w/no prob but cannot file
    share or gain access to the printer (USB) connected to my desk top.

    I've tried connecting by turning off both firewalls (Panda Platinum) but
    still couldn't share. I have tried so many things, I'm not even sure what to
    say about what I've done! Can someone help me on a checklist of what to
    check? I was able to find the shared files on each comp individually, but I
    can't get the two to "talk". On my desktop, when I go to "my network places"
    to try to find the work group I cant get anything there except a message
    saying "(the work group) is not accessable. You might not have permission to
    use this network resource. Contact the administrator to see if you have
    access." I don't get this message on the laptop. However, I only see the
    laptop in the work group and not my desktop. Both computers have the guest
    account open and available. Any ideas?????

    Thanks!

    Guest, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jack Guest

    Jack, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thanks Jack, I think you recommended that to someone else as I was reading
    more after my post I saw that site! I'm still reading and fiddling and I'm
    working to get a resolution and I think that site will eventually help!

    Guest, Oct 31, 2005
  4. Guest

    Carol Guest

    right click on the drives (on each computer) and then click on the
    properties option, then the sharing tab. Make sure file sharing is turned on
    for each driver or folder you want to be able to share. Also, make sure that
    both computers have the same network name and different computer names
    (right click on my computer, click the properties options, then the tab
    "computer name".

    Carol, Nov 1, 2005